Is there a better way to replicate squash-n-stretch animations other than using an excessive amount of bones?

I’m doing animations, modeling, and rigging for this self-fulfilling SpongeBob experience on the platform, and as you may know the characters in the show are quite expressive and cartoony, which is the exact style we hope to replicate in our game.

Because SpongeBob and the rest of the cast are so cartoony, I’d like to show off that bouncy, stretchy look you’d see when characters are moving in the show through the power of bone scaling on these skinned character rigs I’ve created, but from what I know Roblox doesn’t support that yet. :face_holding_back_tears:

ex. with bone scaling

In order to ᵏᶦⁿᵈ ᵒᶠ ⁿᵒᵗ ʳᵉᵃˡˡʸ achieve these squash and stretch effects with these limitations in place, I’ve resorted to weight painting extra bones to a bunch of areas, but it’s not exactly helping all that much…

Is there a better solution for this, or am I at a loss? 971815518438842428

8 Likes

I’m very interested in this as well. Have you been able to find a work around or solution?

I believe this may be your only option. It will be extra work, and will make the skinning significantly more difficult, but if you can get the joint placement and weighting right, it should be possible to achieve a very similar effect to scaling. In your example image, I can imagine 3 extra bones, on the top edge, and one for each left/right edge of his face. They would all translate away from the center, with weights that fade smoothly across the entire face. Good luck, and feel free to make a feature request for animated Bone Instance scaling, but I can’t say if or when we might add that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.