Is there a way to do this with sounds without using code?

Basically, if you’re positioned on the first level of a building, but directly above you on the second level, there’s a pipe bursting sound playing. The volume is just as loud as if you were actually on the same level. I’d desire for it to be much quieter if you were not on the same level as the sound. (basically a ceiling is blocking the player from the sound)

You’d think there’d be a natural way to achieve this effect without using code. I wasn’t sure if there were sound properties or objects that could create this behavior.

Thanks.

This doesn’t seem to be the functionality I’m looking for. Thanks though.

1 Like

Well if you want functionaility your going to have to code it theres no way of getting around that

1 Like

You can set the RollOffMinDistance and RollOffMaxDistance for the sound (in the sound properties)… so that at a minimum of 5 studs it will play and it will get quieter the closer you get to lets say 200 studs away from it at a max. After that max distance it won’t be heard anymore.

Also be sure to set the RollOff Mode to Inverse Tapered.

PS: the 5 and 200 are examples… you should set it to 5 min and then figure out how far the next level is up and use that for the max. There is a cool plugin that shows you visually the min and max, using colors, let me link you:

1 Like

I really like the plugin by the way, the visualization saves a lot of time.

2 Likes

It works just as it stated … I used: InverseTapred
RollOffMaxDistance = The max distance you will hear it
RollOffMinDistance = Distance you have to be to it, to hear it
You may also need to lower the sound volume pretty low for this.
I use this with a automatic sliding door and had to go very low for this to work out.
The actual volume of the sound seems to play into it.

1 Like

@RMofSBI I appreciate your interest in my plugin. To answer @C_Sharper’s questions related to sound rolloff, I’ve made a little (hopefully) helpful graph.

(it’s a bit wonky, don’t mind it)

As I also see there is still (somehow) some interest in my plugin, I’ll work to increase the efficiency of it to allow brilliant developers such as yourselves to work with sound more easily. :slightly_smiling_face:
(Sound Roll-Off Visualiser)

2 Likes