Is there a way to override the colour of "[Team]" when using teamchat, with the new TextChatService?

In the image above I have already been able to update the colour of my name to a darker red, which is fine- however when I go into team chat the original team colour remains. I’ve tried a few things by asking chatgpt (very useless in this case lol), including setting the prefix to just “”, including prefix in the message, etc.

this is my code rn:

tcs.OnIncomingMessage = function(message:TextChatMessage)
	if not message.TextSource then return end
	local player = players:GetPlayerByUserId(message.TextSource.UserId)
	if not player then return end

local properties = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")

local Color = nil
	local Team = player.Team
	if Team then 
		Color = Team:GetAttribute("DisplayCol")
		if Color == Color3.fromRGB(255,255,255) then Color = nil end 
		Color = Color or Team.TeamColor.Color
	end

if Color then
		properties.PrefixText = tostring(string.format("<font color = \"#%s\">["..player.Name.."]:</font>", tostring(Color:ToHex())))
	end

return properties
end

If this isn’t possible because it’s a roblox CoreGui thing, are there any workarounds that I can do? I considered blocking the message and sending it manually but I don’t really know how to do that with this new stuff and it feels like that’d overcomplicate the problem anyway.

Yes I could just change the teamcolor, but I have reasons for not doing that (this is just one example)

1 Like

Unfortunately, you cannot change the color without changing the team color. No “work-arounds” (That I know of)

Since Team-chat is a TextChannel, you have to specify TextChannel.OnIncomingMessage as it fires after TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage and is where it adds the “[Team]” prefix.

First you need to get the TextChannel of a given team. The naming scheme of which uses the Team.TeamColor property for some reason, so this may break if you have multiple teams with the same TeamColor…?

local txtChannels = tcs:WaitForChild("TextChannels")
task.wait(2)  -- We need to wait for roblox to load in the default OnIncomingMessage so we can overwrite it

for _, Team: Team in pairs(game:GetService("Teams"):GetTeams()) do
	local teamTxtChannel = txtChannels:WaitForChild("RBXTeam" .. tostring(Team.TeamColor))

-- Your custom display color, defaults to Team.TeamColor when white
	local Color = Team:GetAttribute("DisplayCol")
	if Color == Color3.fromRGB(255, 255, 255) then Color = Team.TeamColor.Color end

teamTxtChannel.OnIncomingMessage = function(message: TextChatMessage)
		if not message.TextSource then return end
		local player = players:GetPlayerByUserId(message.TextSource.UserId)
		if not player then return end

local properties = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
		properties.PrefixText = tostring(string.format("<font color = \"#%s\">[Team] ["..player.Name.."]:</font>", tostring(Color:ToHex())))

return properties
	end
end

That works, tysm! 30charact3rs

1 Like