Is there a way to simulate the forcefield highlight effect?

So for the game i am making the main mechanic relies on that forcefields highlights the objects that they intersect withwhen it works

But my issue is that if the player happens to not have their graphics all the way up then this does not work when it does not

I was wondering if there was a way to simulate this effect or force this effect to happen even when the graphics are set to low? Thanks

2 Likes

Sorry but are there any further details on the main mechanic and why the highlighting is important?

This is because there might be other ways to highlight objects like in this post

Or this selection box.

Otherwise, yeah It’s going to be really tough as you would noted you would need to find the 3d intersection line somehow probably through math which is why yeah high graphics are needed.

Edit 2: perhaps you can squish the problem down in to 2d and use this resource to highlight the intersection shape?

1 Like

Its meant to be a sort of Echolocation mechanic.
Where everything is black and dark and what i was planning is that when a certain button is pressed a sphere with the forcefield material is spawned on the player and expands and the highlighted edges would let the player see where walls and players are and figure out where to go

1 Like

Great idea, then I believe the only alternate solution would be to do a density ray cast from the camera.

1. You ray cast in the direction normal throughout the screen

2. You take note if it hits the object or the sphere, Then if it does trace back to 2d to get the green and red crosses in the image above.

3. Find a way to get the shape for when the point transition is between the sphere and the echolocation bubble

IDK, this is all I could think up of.

1 Like

Thanks for your help I will definitely try this.