Is there an easier way to make paths / sidewalks?

No, I do not mean with textures.

Basically, I’m wondering if there’s an easier way to create sidewalk pavement designs with raised tiles without making the union / mesh and duplicating it many times. The problem I have with this method is its very tedious. If there’s a curve, you have to edit it so that it doesn’t poke out in a odd way, etc.

If you don’t know what I’m referring too, look up “Sidewalk Pavement”.

1 Like

@A3R0SPACE You can look up a mesh that is a long path/sidewalk. Instead of taking smaller mesh and duplicating it a lot of times. You can make your own mesh but its harder than it looks. I suggest making either a long mesh, decal, or terrain. Because I would use either one of the three I mentioned. I would use a mesh path only in a small garden or for small places. Decals are not good too. They look pixelated and bad. I would use terrain, its way easier and loads up faster then mesh.

2 Likes

I don’t think that you can do something like this without duplicating it for now. You can try to make a mesh in Blender and add it to Studio but it won’t be easy. You can do something like this with PBR textures but they only work in Studio and not in in-game.
For now you can try modelling a sidewalk in Blender (Or any other 3D modelling software you can use) and use it in your game.
But trust me. Using parts and Archimedes Two plugin to rotate them easily will save you a lot of time.
Then you can put a texture on the sidewalk and I don’t think that it will make much difference.

2 Likes

Assuming you aren’t working with irregular shapes, this wouldn’t be too hard to make in blender. You could just subdivide the mesh according to how many tiles you wanted, then just inset the faces and extrude them.

1 Like

Hi, I usually use a plugin called Archimedes which helps you array models in a smooth line, it’s not perfect but it works well enough for a top tier Roblox game. You can touch up the result with another plugin known as ResizeAlign if you really wanna make it perfect, but that is quite tedious. This method works with meshes and models and can be used for anything really. It works by duplicating a selected part or model and then arrays it in the selected direction and angle, the result can be quite part intensive but is pretty much the only way without using PBR textures or meshes.

I saw that ScriptOn made a road placing plugin which seemed really nice but it is private from my knowledge. I guess there is a possibility that he releases it in the future which is why I mentioned it here. Anyways, I hope this helps you :))

1 Like