Is there anyway to outline a part in studio?

Making a grand strategy game on the side, and I’m trying to make outlines for counties/providences and for other nations. Is there a way I can automatically make an outline, or would I have to manually make one?

3 Likes

Would a SelectionBox answer your question?

3 Likes

Would it keep it outlined? If so, that’s likely what I would need.

Yup, It will stay outlined as long as you need!

Images

4 Likes

Aight, appreciate it! I’ll be able to make this map then.

Wait, does it work when you group parts together?

I think so. But it will show all separate selection box, I think

Yes, it does. Try it out in studio

So I tried adding the script from the wiki, and I didn’t notice an outline appear and I joined the game and nothing showed up. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

1 Like

Add an adornee. Click it, and select the part that you want to outline.

An adornee is a script, correct?

An adornee is the part/model that you want the SelectionBox to be assigned to.

So I need to create another part or it’s already there?

No, you can just set the adornee to whatever part/model you want it to be on. So if you set the adornee to a part in the workspace, the selectionbox will be assigned to that part.

Wait, what property is it on? I looked for it on all the properties and I couldn’t find it. I could only find multiple scripts that create it.

Adornee is a property of the SelectionBox

2 Likes

Ok so I finally added a selection box, but it didn’t follow the exact outline of the shape, likely because of the group I put it in. I think because of the group outline it created it doesn’t work. Any way to fix that, or do cylinders not work?

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that it cannot curve around meshes. You could take a look a SelectionSphere but I’m not sure how that works.

So I’ve made another piece of land with a cylinder and it appears with a sphere it barely shows up. It only works for the block part. I have the Archimedes plugin, so I’ll see if I could make my circles with that. But I appreciate all the help.

2 Likes

You can use Highlight. But that will make the line appead on PC only. Best to make a inverted texture mesh so that it shows line from the inside but not outside