Is this game I'm making actually scary?

Top Bar ruined it for me.

I was in that area where that droning noise (very faint) is growing in the left ear and all you can do is move through the endless amount of rooms down and right, I got to a dark hallway and walked down it, simley jumpscare and then…

I didn’t respawn, I couldn’t reset to fix anything

Was going to mention this last night but didn’t have the time.

I don’t have much feedback on the game itself [size=2]since I’m a wuss and chickened out far before I finished[/size] but I’m also concerned that you seem to be doing a lot of things server-side. Ideally in a singleplayer ROBLOX game you should do as much as possible locally so that every player gets (mostly) the same experience regardless of their internet speed.

Actually, I’ve never thought about that before. o_o

[size=2]I’m probably not very good at programming these games… If you’d see my coding, you’d probably vomit at how inefficient it is…[/size]

Looks pretty cool, has some neat potential

The monster design though, looks like it was made in a minute or two in paint.NET

I would either go for a new design or hold on seeing the monster directly at all; only catch blurry glimpses or shadows, at least until the end of the game when you see it in its entirety

Fear of the unknown, a base human instinct

First off, I’d like to say this is really unique! I love some of the concepts the game uses.

Now for a few critisisms:
There isn’t enough ambience for immersion. Things like the player’s footsteps, breathing, maybe some creaking wood floors. I think it’d help with immersion.
Second, the camera could be a bit better. The scene where the camera flattens out as you walk down a hall was a good use of the camera. But the otherwise constant overhead views feel a bit odd. I think a more silent-hill type approach would be interesting to try.

So far though, the game is really creepy and I enjoyed it quite a bit!

I’m not a fan of the use of the overuse of flickering jumpscare guis in combination with an immediately loud buggy noise. One of my games kind of did this but only flickered “No” on the screen with a monster saying No. Very minimal use - nothing to cause an epileptic episode…

But you did capture a great scare tactic - they have to enter a dark room and fumble to hit the lightswitch… with a very low chance of that action bringing the monster, either when you walk in or hit the switch. That makes every new room scary. Someone mentioned the hallway scare too - those are intense when you can see your impending doom.

I’d like to see a big room that you walk by and it’s fine, but when you come back to that room all the furniture is switched around or completely removed. Imagine coming back to a room you passed and you can’t quite tell what’s wrong with the room, but you know something is very wrong.

Edit: Should’ve been called light switch because light bulb isn’t very scary sounding

[quote] I’m not a fan of the use of the overuse of flickering jumpscare guis in combination with an immediately loud buggy noise. One of my games kind of did this but only flickered “No” on the screen with a monster saying No. Very minimal use - nothing to cause an epileptic episode…

But you did capture a great scare tactic - they have to enter a dark room and fumble to hit the lightswitch… with a very low chance of that action bringing the monster, either when you walk in or hit the switch. That makes every new room scary. Someone mentioned the hallway scare too - those are intense when you can see your impending doom.

I’d like to see a big room that you walk by and it’s fine, but when you come back to that room all the furniture is switched around or completely removed. Imagine coming back to a room you passed and you can’t quite tell what’s wrong with the room, but you know something is very wrong.

Edit: Should’ve been called light switch because light bulb isn’t very scary sounding [/quote]

I have an idea already that’s somewhat similar to yours

At some point in the game, the rooms won’t only have different furniture, but they’ll also be switching around completely on you. A player might walk into a dead end, only to come back and see a whole new place when he turns on the light. I like your idea of using subtle changes first. Maybe I’ll have 1 specific room that the player keeps coming back to. And every single time he comes back, it changes more drastically. Hmmm…

What’s scarier about the name “Light Switch”? It seems barely different to me, TBH. It seemed to make more sense to me, saying “Light Bulb”, since the light bulbs are supposedly the main light-source in the game. (And since the game is about a monster which turns them off)

edit :
I’m also making a terrifying part that tries to break the 4th wall as much as it can to creep you the heck out (only with headphones, thooouuughhh :DDD)

I ragequit. I didn’t expect to be attacked during the tutorial.

Side note, looking out those little slits in lockers in first person is a lot scarier when you’re in someone else’s game and you don’t know what makes things appear through the slits.

It’s scary. :shocked:
One thing though,

In the scene where you have just climbed up the bookshelf for the key (or whenever this appears) the ‘HIDE’ at the bottom of the screen ruins the immersion a bit. I think at that point the player knows that it’s probably a good idea to hide.

1 Like

I found some dark room with no lightswitch, walked to the right a while, and I assume I fell off of the map.

Yeah, shortly after the room with the piano is where my progress ends.

edit : I’m more or less finished with the game now. I still have to make quite a few improvements though. :stuck_out_tongue:

It has almost 40K visits now.
I’m so happy about this… I’m freaking out right now. :open_mouth:

Also I forgot to mention that this game has its own original soundtrack [size=2](by DTF on roblox, he’s a pretty good composer)[/size].

I put the OST on youtube.