Is this leaderstats script well scripted?

Hello there, I’m working on a new game that requires a leaderstats + a datastore for the leaderstats. The only issue is that I am not a scripter so for me to complete this script I had to watch and spend 50 minutes making this.

My question is… Is this script as short as it can be, and is the script well scripted as I don’t wanna have issues down the road by player’s data resetting.

Script:

local DataStoreService = game:GetService("DataStoreService")
local DataStore = DataStoreService:GetDataStore("DataStore")

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)

local leaderstats = Instance.new ("Folder")
	leaderstats.Name = "leaderstats"
	leaderstats.Parent = player

local Coins = Instance.new("IntValue")
	Coins.Name = "Coins"
	Coins.Parent = leaderstats

local Wins = Instance.new("IntValue")
	Wins.Name = "Wins"
	Wins.Parent = leaderstats

local playerUserId = "Player_"..player.UserId
	local data
	local success, errormessage = pcall(function()
		data = DataStore:GetAsync(playerUserId)
	end)

if success then
		if data then
		Coins.Value = data.Coins
		Wins.Value = data.Wins
		end
	end
end)

game.Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(player)
	local playerUserId = "Player_"..player.UserId

local data = {
		Coins = player.leaderstats.Coins.Value;
		Wins = player.leaderstats.Wins.Value;
	}

local success, errormessage = pcall(function()
		DataStore:SetAsync(playerUserId, data)
	end)

if success then
		print("Data successfully saved.")
	else
		print("There was an error while saving!")
		warn("errormessage")
	end
end)
1 Like

I am going to assume it uses the Roblox Leaderboard, as a composer and not a very good scripter, I can’t really find a good way of making it short, the store seems good as well, on the fact that you are using ID’s, I cant see any problems down the road as well (unless for some reason DataStores all get reset).

1 Like

Alright, thank you. I only wanted it to make it short as I am gonna have 1 script that controls my whole game as I heard it’s better than having tons and tons of single scripts.

I would highly suggest against this, if one line errors all the code after that line won’t run. Make a separate script for every piece of code, and modules when needed. Roblox let’s you have multiple scripts for a reason, use them!

1 Like

Oh alright. Why would some games only 1 script that controls everything? Are there any benefits of having just 1 script instead of hundreds of them?

I honestly don’t know, could you provide some places where people were using a single script? They might be doing it to keep all the local variables and functions without making a bunch of module scripts or something. They could also have done that to keep their explorer neat, although a messy explorer is fine as long as you have a functioning game!

Also, when I say multiple I don’t mean hundreds, more like 35 or so. Just group stuff together in scripts, like all stuff for stats in one script and all stuff for a shop in one script.

1 Like

Oh alright. The games I’ve seen it in are YouTuber’s tutorial videos.

1 Like

You dont have to worry about errors because you’ve wrapped data store requests into pcall. Use 1 script.

1 Like

But the code uses pcall function, meaning the script won’t really break, just return an error if the code actually breaks.