Is this mesh allowed on ROBLOX?

I made this Mario head a while back, and I want to insert it into my mesh portfolio game, but I’m not sure if I would get a warning for uploading it.

Would I be safer uploading the mesh to an alternate account? Or will I be safe as long as I state that this is for personal use only?

Obviously I will decimate the mesh so that it has less vertices.

3 Likes

I would recommend you Not Posting this, as this is Stolen from Nintendo. I know, this is an Custom Mario, but because of Copyright Problems.

7 Likes

You should change some details, I think, cause Nintendo is very strict about copyrighting.

1 Like

I found this in the Roblox ToS.

Our policies prohibit you from Providing UGC that infringes trademarks. If you Provide UGC that infringes trademarks, your UGC can be blocked or removed.

I’m not really sure if a custom mesh is considered UGC, but there’s a high chance it will get removed or eve blocked. It doesn’t say anything about terminating your account if you upload this, but it will be content deleted.

1 Like

Unfortunately not: Nintendo is very strict about its copyright and it being used for profit by other individuals - although you can make a parody you can’t have details which are clear mimics of the character Mario.

Look what happened to flappy bird for using pipes…

Best to avoid it.

1 Like

I’ve seen dozens of meshes of Mario and related assets in the Library, and they have yet to be deleted. Because of this, I have begun to question whether or not this is safe to do.

In a lot of circumstances the copyright owners don’t do much as its of little influence.

They don’t care about the small fry, but if you make something which is profiting off a Nintendo piece of work then chances are they’ll ask Roblox to take your game down (among other things).

2 Likes

This is correct. Take Pokemon Brick Bronze as an example. There still are Pokemon games until now, but Game Freak or Nintendo doesn’t care because they don’t really make a lot of money. However, Pokemon Brick Bronze used all the copyright materials, and made millions off of it. That’s why it’s banned.

1 Like

I’m not going to be making profit off of the mesh at all, I just want to include it in my portfolio for others to see.

This is risky even if you don’t make profit off of it. You never know if they decide to take down all of them even if they don’t make money. I would suggest you make another mesh that’s not related to Nintendo or any copyright and that would be safe.

1 Like

I suppose that would be less risky, I was just kind of hoping to be able to include my mesh in my portfolio for others to see. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the help!

You would most likely be fine as long as you get rid of the “M” logo, or change it to something supper original. Other than that, if you’re not making any money off of it, selling it, etc, you should be fine as it can be claimed under “Fair Use”.

Again, the main thing is that “M” symbol which could be considered copyrighted. The mesh itself is just fan art, and it doesn’t really look too much like Mario so yeah. If you do get a copyright strike, you could dispute it with claiming “Fair Use”, along with provided examples/evidence/proof.

3 Likes