Is this too much triangles?

I made a combat knife as you can see here

it is 9396 triangles and I was wondering if this is too much?

Keep in mind the knife will be a weapon that the player can use therefore it will be very close.

4 Likes

The 9K Triangles for that knife is too much, if your going for hyper realism then maybe it’s acceptable to a certain extended degree however if your going for a mid to high poly game then its too much for that size and what it actually is as a model, it will be hectic if your game is multiplayer, I would recommend decreasing the polycount to under 2k. Keep in mind this is my own opinion and I’m writing this as the way I percieve it, hope it helps!

4 Likes

how can I reduce it whilst keeping good topology

1 Like

Make another lowpoly model, something like 1/10th of what you have, similar in size, then follow something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQPjIGncXcM to keep most details while using way lower tris, in comparison, a GTA V uzi is around 520 triangles. it’s the PBR doing most of the work. and if you can, learn PBR instead of using so much detail, i’d recommend Substance 3d Painter even though it’s pretty expensive it provides many textures and easy controls in my opinion.

3 Likes

This is pretty much what I’d recommend if you do not want to go through that hassle or Substance Painter is seeming to hard the easiest way is to just use the decimate modifier in blender.

4 Likes

yeah but he said while keeping good topo, decimate turns it all to a triangle mess with bad sharps, unless if he fixes that up it’s faster to just make a way lower poly mesh and bake normals considering he’d have detail, although not all of it. and substance painter was more like ‘you could use it’ because most people can make their own textures and stuff. i’m not that good with textures yet.

1 Like

You can still keep the good topology by using decimate modifier, that’s what it is for, as I said “the most easiest way” however you are still correct.

1 Like

Way too many, it seems like you used a subsurface division to make it extremely smooth, which as stated above is fine for high detail/poly, but not good for optimization since the game has to render each one of those points, so any other models that also have higher tri count or merely the quantity of other meshes/parts would make your game very laggy over time, the most optimized way i can think of to create a similar effect is just make a lower poly version and auto shade the model smooth, that will sharpen flat faces and make the groups of faces that create a round shape (such as circles/spheres) smooth, you’ll only be able to see the lower poly shape well if you’re in certain lighting or at a certain angle, you can add more divisions to limit how many sharp seams you’d see in that lighting say if you created that model by shaping a circle and extruding upwards, but it would still be smooth like in your image, it sort of falls on how detailed you’d like it to be, just toy around and experiment, happy modelling!

1 Like

I would say, for semi-realistic graphics aimed at mid/high-end PCs, this would be fine if used as a first person model.

If this is gonna be used in third person though it’s way too overkill.
I suggest using normal maps and PBR textures to create the illusion of details and depth, it works well even for low-poly.