Is this UI good?

Hello,
I’m still figuring out how to get good at UI, could I have some feedback for this?
The idea of the game (its a jokey simulator sort of game, for reference), is that you read newspapers to become old. You purchase age with news, which is a currency you get from buying news. Since this process (called “Age Up”) is really core and important to the game, I want it to be as easy and efficient as possible, as well as customisable, hence why you can change the amount, as well as set it to the max Age purchaseable. I feel like a few things are a bit off here, could you guys help me fix a few things? I’ll use some cool trigonometry math to make things a bit more active (such as rotations synced to a sine wave)
I’m a noob at this, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

I rounded things off and also changed the “Max” Setting’s text colour. Is this any better?

1 Like

bump bump bam

This text will be blurred

1 Like

I would improve the colors to be calmer on the eye. The actual layout is fine it just pains my eyes because of the very bright and hard-to-read colors.

3 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for your feedback. I’ve been messing around with the colours, but I really can’t find a good set of colours for this (i really suck at colouring ): ). By “calmer on the eye” does that necessarily mean darker?
Thanks again.

1 Like

I’d say instead of using all these bright and random colors, try to fit a color scheme. Dim down the background and the text a bit and try to get colors that match each other

2 Likes

OK, I found this palette on Lospec called Twilight 5, I think it’s pretty cool and fitting + it’s calmer on the eyes in my opinion.

1 Like

brah i done bad
i used the palette really badly, looks like it didn’t end up as I thought it would :skull:

1 Like

Remove the patterns and gradients, make the background the darkest blue, make every box and button except for the 450 the 2nd darkest blue, and make “Age up by” and “AGE UP!” the lighter blue, make the rest of the text white.

2 Likes

OK, I tried it and it actually looks pretty solid! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

May I suggest to not use Emojis as icons. They aren’t scalable, and if you merge them with a TextLabel, it’s really tricky to get the Padding just right.

You can put icons next to the labels or inset the icon with the text label to give the effect that they’re one button.

It might just be me, but I feel like the emojis throw it off just a tiny bit, but it currently looks quite good!

(also don’t be afraid to utilize dark UIStrokes on Text or borders to emphasize important aspects of your UI! If you want a pattern in the background, it cannot be equal to, or greater than the opacity of your UI content, or else it is difficult to read, and is not nice to look at.)

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hello!

First of all, id like to state that this is NOT a bad UI, and i think you’re really on the right track.

I would like to mention:

On each rounded text box, i would put a border around it, that would help looks a lot i think.

On the downwards pointing arrow under the age up number, the arrow emoji is touching the roof of the rounded square gui, lower it a bit so its more centered.

I’d also like to state that i like the gradient in the background, maybe on some of your buttons and more gradients.

Of course play with it how you feel, and adjust it to look how you like. It’s your UI, not mine, and im only making suggeestions!

HAVE AN AWESOME DAY :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give this a go too!

OK, I’ll try some of the icons that Interface Tools gives. Thanks!

Not bad, :+1: just try to use dark colors for the background
I see most people uses it

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.