Issue filtering textbox

1. What do you want to achieve?

I want to create a script that automatically filters a textbox instance when a player types in it.

1. What is the issue?

I am getting a weird error that claims that my filteredresult is an instance, not a string, and I don’t understand why.

1. What solutions have you tried so far?

I’ve changed the variables around, I’ve tried looking on the official developer page for a solution. Maybe I haven’t found the right thing?

There are two scripts, a local script which is shown below. It fires a remote event with a script attached to it when the text property is changed.

script.Parent.Changed:Connect(function(Text)
	if Text == "Text" then
		script.RemoteEvent:FireServer()
	end
end)

This is the script that is causing problems…

script.Parent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(Player)
	local TextService = game:GetService("TextService")

local gamenamecomponent = script.Parent.Parent.Parent ----- this is the textbox
	local textofilter = "" --- string

local filteredresult = TextService:FilterStringAsync(textofilter, Player.UserId)

gamenamecomponent.Text = filteredresult
end)

The script gets the textbox, it then creates a variable named textofilter. This variable is supposed to be the textbox text. The textservice is supposed to filter it and turn it into a string. But for some reason it ends up being an instance?

21:06:46.205 Unable to assign property Text. string expected, got Instance - Server - Script:9
21:06:46.206 Stack Begin - Studio
21:06:46.206 Script ‘Players.Sidglz.PlayerGui.MakeGame.UnityBackground.GameName.LocalScript.RemoteEvent.Script’, Line 9 - Studio - Script:9
21:06:46.206 Stack End - Studio

^^ Error report

Hi, there is already a topic about it, Please Search before you post.

1 Like

Much appreciated, I guess I was searching for the wrong things.

1 Like

That method returns a ‘TextFilterResult’ object, you need to call a filtering method on that object in order for the text to be filtered.
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/TextFilterResult

I forgot to mention that this worked, the previous post (Mazen) did not. Thank you