Issue with Ridges Forming when Importing Terrain

Hey folks!

(no terrain sub-category so posting here as it is most-fitting)

I’ve recently imported terrain into my game with the intention of building a city-roleplay type game on top of it, allowing for exploration and scenic pictures to be taken for the group it will be used by. Unfortunately, I keep running into the issue of having these ridges form where you would expect topographical lines to be on a map. I have attached a picture below that highlights the ridges.

The heightmap I have used to import this is below as well. I used a size measurement of 10,000 x 10,000 with a height of 512 when importing and the position was left untouched. The PNG itself is 5,000 x 5,000 pixels.

I have tried using the smooth tool provided by Roblox to no avail, it changes nothing.
I have additionally tried adding/subtracting terrain from a given area and then using the smooth tool to bring it back up to where it needs to be. This provides minimal results and would not be very sustainable to do over a whole map.

Pitch your ideas? Thanks!!

pitter patter <3
- walter

The only way I know to make it without this ridges is manually make terrain using Grow / Erode tools. Maybe there’s any other ways, but I know only this.

1 Like

I’m also working with perlin noise and I think that happens due to the terrain:FillBlock()