Issue with speedometer

Hey!

I’m not totally sure if its to do with my coding or if its the position of the lines on the speedometer, but I’ve uploaded this image into Roblox studio and I’ve coded the needle of the speedometer to change based on its speed and it worked but the issue is the needle normally goes a little bit higher or lower than the speed that the vehicle is going and I think this is to do with how the lines are place, I think that some lines have different distance between each line and due to it being a circle I’m having trouble making each line have the same distance between them. I am using paint.net, how could I fix this?

If you think the issue is something else then please let me know!

Here is a picture of the speedometer:

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You can make a horizontal line that goes from 20 to 100 out to the edges of the black ring.
Copy just the line and then Paste it, then rotate it by 7.5 degrees (you have 12 segments between the 20 and 60 mark, which are 90 degrees apart).
Keep copy/pasting this line until you have an entire ‘spoked’ wheel.
Select a circle with an outer diameter that goes to the inner edge of the black lines that you want. Colour that circle white.
Paint the area between the 0 and 120 marks with a white paintbrush to get rid of the bottom section of lines that were drawn.
Go back with the white paintbrush and make the black lines between the number divisions slightly shorter.
I just realized that you have the areas between the number divisions in 3 sections, which wouldn’t make sense for a speedometer since nobody needs to read 3.33, 6.66, 10, 10.33, 10.66 etc. on their gauge. You may want to change the angle I mentioned above to give 2 segments (11.25 degrees) between your number divisions to indicate more realistic numbers like 5, 10, 15, 20…
Go back and make a black circle in the center of your gauge.
I’d also recommend using a higher contrast needle. Most real speedos have a red needle on a black or white background, or a white needle on a black background to make it more easy to read. Have a look at online pics to see what I mean.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

I am confused with what you mean on a couple things but, I do think I understand what you mean a little bit, it might take me about a week or 2 to fix the issues as I will be very busy, but I will keep you updated.

I’m thinking I could start with a square of the size of the speedometer and have a cross in the center going from top to bottom and from left to right and then draw a circle enough for the edges of the circle to align with the edges of the cross and the create these shorten it to my liking then rotate that a few times and then make a shorter line for the middle of each number. Sorry if I make it sound confusing.

On my image because between 0 and 10 there is 2 lines are you meaning make that into 1 line? Because I didn’t realize that I did that, oops…

Thanks! This image was made a couple of months ago but I haven’t worked on it too much because I’ve been busy working on a lot of other things but, I did plan to change the needles color because I had a little trouble seeing the pointy part.

2 Likes

Hi! 2 weeks later and I’ve finally came to fix this issue and its fixed, The image below is just a testing image I’ve made because this one has a couple things wrong with it lol, but the method I used now lets the speedometer needle into the right place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.