Issues with Mesh When Imported Into Studio

When I imported my mesh into studio, there were two notable things that looked off about it compared to how it is in blender.

1. There were for some reason lines appearing where I marked my seams, though it isn’t like this in blender (layout mode)

2. There’s a weird inversion on the bottom part of the mesh, when in blender this doesn’t happen at all.

How can I fix this?

1 Like

For number 2, invert the normals of the vertices. Simple.

For number one, set the edges to shade smooth. Some may have to remain as sharp.

3 Likes

As @AborayStudios said, invert the normals for the handle. Do an internet search for ‘Blender show normals’. There are a few ways to do it so pick the one that works best. I prefer the one that shows blue for outside faces and orange for inside faces.

For the edges, do you have extra vertices on the purple rings? Select those rings, go to the Mesh tab, select Clean up, and then Merge By Distance. The default distance (box that appears at the bottom left of screen) is .0001, but I usually change it to .002 or .003.
This takes all vertices that are at the same location and merges them into one.
Another thing to do is to click A to select all. It doesn’t matter if you have Vertices, Edges, or Faces selected. Then go to the Mesh tab, select Normals, and Reset Vectors. This will reset all the ‘directions’ that edges meet up to smooth out the shading of the surface when you use Smooth Faces.

The issue with that is that I’ve already joined the parts together, so wouldn’t that cause problems to the top part of the mallet?

Probably yeah, but how I usually do to fix this which I think is easier, is just change the mesh double-sided in studio

No! Don’t switch the normals on all the Faces, just on the ones that are inverted right now.

If you’d looked at tutorials online you would see how to see which faces are inverted. Select only those faces and then go to Mesh > Normals > Invert.
It’s just that simple.

@MADELlNEE DoubleSided is NOT the way to fix an incorrectly made Mesh. DoubleSided is only for meshes that are flat and need both sides like leaves, or pieces of paper.

1 Like

I tried doing this multiple times and for some reason, every time I tried changing it it just didn’t work.

Here’s the model

Mallet2.obj (180.2 KB)

Also just imported another mesh, I have the same exact problem with lines being on it for some weird reason…

I tried putting the mesh you posted into my Studio as well as another version I imported to my Blender and removed all the inside faces from.
I have no lines on the outside of either one. I do have some minor lines on the inner diameters of the purple rings on the inside faces of yours that don’t show. Not as sharp as the ones you show though.

What if you remove the TextureID from the Mesh? I inserted both of them into my Studio without the texture.
What Lighting Technology are you using?
What are your Studio Graphics set at? 21 is max.
Have you changed any of your Lighting settings?

1 Like

Hi, when working on it in Blender, did you happen to click this option?

I think that what’s happened is, you edited the texture in blender and accidentally exported the layout which you used as texture.
What this causes is that on top of the texture you painted, Blender draws every single face as an overlay, this is typically used for editing textures in external programs with aid; this is what I got from exporting the layout on your mesh (of course I don’t have the texture):

If you want to export the texture properly, you have to go to the UV Editor tab, Image > Save Image As > Select saving location

Afterwards just replace the textureID, and I think that should solve your problem, I didn’t find any issues with the model that could cause anything else.

I hope this was helpful :^)

1 Like

There is the texture, I’m assuming it’s a problem with my texture at this point because I already used your proposed solution to export the texture in the first place, and so I’m not sure what other reason it may be.

Also, why is it rainbow-colored in your view?

The mesh is completely fine, so at this point I feel like it has something to do with my texture itself.

ShadowMap, though I might change it later.

It used to be at Automatic (also it’s called Editor Quality Level I think), but I just switched it to 21, though doing so didn’t fix my issue.

Kind of, but I don’t know why and how that would affect the mesh and/or texture, and placing the mesh into the default baseplate should still have the problem.

Okay I can now see what your issue is—rather than exporting it with a UV layout you had an odd UV map (texture).
Basically you’d want to avoid using so many individual small faces colored in the texture, especially for a model that only uses two colors, I’ve fixed your mesh and made a new texture to show:
Mallet2.obj (157.3 KB)

(The issue specifically here is that roblox resizes textures to 2048x2048, and you lose so much resolution with such small faces that you can see pixels beyond what you painted in the texture, those black edges are the pixels surrounding each face)

Here is the difference:

I urge you to look up tutorials on how to do UV-unwrapping on Blender, but I hope this helped solve the issue.

As for this, don’t worry about it, I use Blender a lot so I customized the layout to fit my workflow, it’s irrelevant to your problem.

2 Likes

Alright, I will keep this in mind for future uses.

1 Like

Not only that, but this has very good performance benefits. You can make that image a much lower resolution to improve the experience.

This is like the 5th time that I’ve forgotten to ask you, but if that is the image of the texture, how did you make the texture just two colors? and also, do you have any useful videos that can show me how to properly UV Map?

A UV-map is just a way to tell the mesh how should it unwrap into a plane, it’s like cutting a paper cube into flat pieces and placing them down however you want.

Because of that, you don’t really have limitations on how you tell it to organize the flat shreds.
In my case I divided the image in two, and put all the bits that should be pink on the left and all the black bits on the right; they don’t need to be placed down in a certain way, order, they can even be overlapping each other.

As for the video, UV mapping is as skillful and ample as modelling itself, so there’s no set “proper” way, just whatever works for you; I never learnt from videos but I skimmed through this one and it seems to be pretty complete and explanatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTd8NBg8EZU

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.