Issues with Rubble Piles

So I’m wanting to make a showcase of a war-torn Stalingrad, but the issue I’m bound to run into is the lag generated by piles of rubble.

Such as this one.

Granted, I haven’t made it yet, but would any of you happen to have some tips on making them? I’m also assuming it’d take a good while to get a single pile of rubble completed, so if you would have any shortcuts (that wouldn’t skimp out on the quality), I’d love to know.

My only idea would be to use Roblox terrain, and add some parts sticking out of it, but, chances are, it’s not going to look the best. So what I’m honestly looking for is a pile of rubble that is more than just a sphere (like the older Roblox games), but also something that can be made relatively quickly (I don’t want to be spending multiple hours on a single pile to get it to look right,) without lag.

Thanks for your time reading this, and I wish you luck on your development as well.

3 Likes

I always find positioning parts in a pile to be an irritating, long task, so I’d recommend setting up some kind of easily collapsible structure, using Play Solo to make it crumble, then copy+paste the pile into Workspace and anchor it. Not quite sure about the part lag, though.

1 Like

You can make a simplified pile shape out of a mesh with a trash/rubble texture over it, and then have some pieces sticking out. This is what most games do for rubble piles. Here’s an example screenshot:

There’s a main pile shape that is very simple and just has a texture similar to this part:

Then they stick the pieces of concrete/metal into that (specifically covering up the edges at the bottom of the pile and the peaks of the pile, i.e. every point that could be seen as an edge from some angle) to fake a full pile of meshes/parts.

13 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I had thought of this, but wasn’t too sure if it’d be the most efficient method (As I haven’t quite seen it on Roblox, so I thought if it hasn’t been done, there may be good reason. Then again, there are plenty of things that are on Roblox that should be). Anyways, thanks for the information.

Yea, doing this though a mixture of meshes and textures would be your best bet. Unfortunately, we can’t do texture mapping, which would bring out a huge improvement of deceiving the eye and making 2d things look 3d.

To expand on BuildThomas’ great explanation, and dive more into the methodology of it and how to keep everything instanced to boot.

Just looking at the picture I see at least four assets that would have been designed with modular use in mind:

Here’s a quick rubble pile I made in five minutes, all with modular pieces that I can apply for other unique rubble piles, or individually if the area requires it:

And here is an assembled pile using those assets:

Don’t forget to give your assets unique identifiers!

Obviously this could be more improved with better Meshparts instead of using so many wood Parts, and just more aesthetically pleasing with more than five minutes of work, but the concept is there and with some planning you could spend half an hour to save hours of placing each model or Part in a rubble pile by hand.

And keep in mind your collisions for these piles. The model above is all CanCollide = False except for the RubbleBase, RubbleWall01, and RubbleConcrete01 and 02 - basically anything large enough that it’d be weird to clip through, without players having to navigate rebar and wood splinters :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes