Issues with servers in a universe

Ok so basically I am making a game that uses the universe feature. Me and my friend were testing it out and when we went through an arrow (which leads to the next place in the universe) i thought she was having trouble with connection. I checked the servers list of that area and it had split us into 2 servers (which is odd, the servers allow 50 people). So we went back to the main game place and everything was fine. We tried again and the same thing happened. So we tried with a different area in the game I told her to meet me at one of the areas. 5 Minutes later, she was there, I was there but we were both in different servers?!?!

This is a huge bug. Has it happened to anyone else?

2 Likes

It happens to my game to, and it is really annoying as my game should be played as a team :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. Same here, Itā€™s going to be a new breed of social games and itā€™s annoying. Itā€™d be great if ROBLOX actually cared about Universes and devs which use themā€¦

Comments like that are unnecessary and untrue. Some of the most successful games use multiple places (universes). Just because a bug hasnā€™t been patched in 24 hours doesnā€™t mean anybody ā€œstopped caringā€. Donā€™t post things like that.

There seem to be issues with TeleportService right now that are being worked on. This is most likely related to these issues and has been mentioned a couple of times. Perhaps @spotco might know about it.

4 Likes

But no really, donā€™t just assume ROBLOX doesnā€™t care about something just because it hasnā€™t been fixed yet. Iā€™d like to think the guys & gals at ROBLOX care about any problems that arise, sometimes it takes time to figure out why those problems are occurring and figure out how to fix them.

Hey, now I know itā€™s easy to get frustrated when something out of your control is broken (believe me, Iā€™ve been a developer on other platforms and itā€™s not a pleasant experience). However negativity wonā€™t do anything but ruffle feathers and hurt feelings :slight_smile:

(And btw, we make all our money from developers like you so itā€™s in our best interest to care).

Anyway, from what Iā€™m reading this sounds like a very different issue than what Iā€™ve heard before (this sounds like teleports going to the ā€œwrong instanceā€, what Iā€™ve heard about before this is that teleports intermittently fail).

Can you make a ā€œreproā€ case for this?

If youā€™re not familiar with the terminology, that means the simplest possible example showing the broken behaviour. So link/send me a place and show the code you think isnā€™t working properly.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi. If you noticed ā€“ It took 10 hours for someone to answer w/out negativity. As it took 3 hours with negativityā€¦ Just saying. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve seen some other post about it too. It isnā€™t none of my code. Nothing like that say if two people are walking through a teleport to a new place
more than likely they will be split into two servers rather than being in one. No matter what the server limit. Thatā€™s the best way I can explain it. Hereā€™s a link to the place.

Yeah, make sure not to do that in the future or youā€™re going to have a problem. Be respectable and youā€™ll get respectable replies in due time, whether or not you make a scene about it doesnā€™t change their response time and youā€™re actually less likely to get one.

1 Like

Any chance you could write a simple script that does exactly what your ā€œarrowā€ does, and then set up a empty place with just that script that reproduces the problem? The more specifics the better.

1 Like

Shall I make 2 places into a universe and make them tp to each other?? The script is fine.

1 Like

Yeah, if you do something simple like that does it still have the problem you mentioned?

1 Like

Even if the script is fine, with the most dumbed down / simplified place to work with itā€™s easier to find out whatā€™s going wrong without having to look through all of your gameā€™s code to find in which script you teleport people, etc.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure. I can only test it with 2 people or more.
Heres what I know:
It has nothing to do with the teleporting from place to place
It has something to do with how servers are handled with teleports(or just how servers work)

1 Like

It canā€™t be anything to do with my gameā€¦

Earlier that day I visited with one of my other friends and everything worked fine. I was showing him everything.

Then I try it a few hours later with another friend to show them the work and it was doing what I stated. Weird :confused:

Do you have a second computer/virtual machine/want to ask your friend to help you test this again?

And are you able to make this happen multiple times (possibly in a row), or was this a one-to-few time thing?

(This is why Iā€™m asking you for the ā€œreproā€ case, if you can nail down exactly what the bad behaviour is then we know what and where the bug we need to fix is)

Making the dumbed down version work now

No this happened for around 30 minutes straight. Thereā€™s 4 areas in my game so I was trying to show her around. This didnā€™t occur in the main place of the game where you spawn when you click the ā€˜playā€™ button, it occurred in all the other places. For example when we went to a different part of the game itā€™d be in 2 diff servers, same with any other part of the game. We tried for about 30 minutes and we kept jumping in and out of places to try and get into the same server but we had no luck. It was working fine earlier that day though. We also both closed the game and retried it, I shutdown every server on the places and still no luck.

http://www.roblox.com/games/382458569/testplace1 Here it is.

So just checking, does the problem you mentioned happen here, and what are the steps to make it happen?

Literally all I did was use the teleport (arrow) with my friend to get to a different place in the universe and it ended up creating 2 servers. We tried and tried for 30 minutes shutting down the servers and so on and it just wouldnā€™t work. I donā€™t know if it happens there but thatā€™s a literal copy and paste of what is already in my game.