Issues with Studio viewport size

As a developer, UI designer (and also a perfectionist), the lack of control we have over the studio viewport is quite annoying and disruptive to our workflow. There are two main issues that contribute to this.

The first issue is that it is incredibly easy to mess up the viewport’s dimensions. Clicking and dragging a widget (including the viewport itself) by accident could often to lead to wacky changes in the size of the viewport. You cannot undo changes like this and you’d need to fix the screen’s resolution manually, every time it happens.

The second issue is that you can’t (easily and) precisely set the viewport’s dimensions – we can only click and drag, with no information on the viewport size.

Pro tip for people with the same issue: You can view the ViewportSize property of the Camera object while resizing, but this is still not a great solution because of having to click and drag with great accuracy, and the first issue

As a general developer, I’ve found the first issue just causes some minor disorientation and annoyance. I expect other people have experienced the same. Regardless, it adds up over time, as with everything. The specific resolution of the viewport is important as a UI designer because it allows us to keep our canvas uniform while working. If we need to test the scaling, we can use the emulator, but at all other times we want to be working in our preferred ‘default’ screen size. This particular thing is variable based on the designer. Lastly, as a perfectionist, it is so frustrating to be taking screenshots with weird resolutions, and also being unable to specifically set the size of the viewport.

If these issues are solved, the general workflow of developers would improve. Additionally, this would make things easier for UI designers (and for perfectionists like me).

For both issues, currently we can use the screen size emulation to solve them, but the emulator resize the actual viewport itself and is overall an inadequate solution unless you’re using the viewport widget itself fullscreen. Possible solutions could be an option to lock the viewport size, and also be able to manually edit the viewport size somewhere fairly easy to reach (preferably easier than the settings menu) – maybe in the ribbon bar somewhere?

4 Likes