IsVerified API [Beta]

Hi Everyone,

We invite you all to the open beta of the IsVerified API. With the launch of the IsVerified API, you now have the ability to gate parts of your experience to identity-verified players. This can reduce the incentives for alternative accounts (which are often unverified) from joining your experience.

IsVerified API will encourage user authenticity and prevent repeat offenders in your experiences. Users who have verified a non-VOIP (Voice Over IP) phone number or government ID through our Account Verification process will be classified as identity-verified. Tying these identity verification signals to user accounts can deter behaviors like cheating, scamming, or harassment.

A couple of use cases we envision are protecting the integrity of in-experience rankings and trading, as well as decreasing the rate of cheating. When implementing IsVerified, you should exercise caution to ensure that the implementation does not inadvertently block all unverified users. We have provided user experience tips below to help you best communicate the user actions needed for account verification. However, we want to empower you to make the decisions that you believe will elevate your experience the most.

You can find the documentation on how to use this API here. IsVerified() returns “true” if the person is either non-VOIP phone or government-issued ID verified. It is distinct from Roblox’s Verified Badge program.

User Experience Tips:

1. We suggest that you make the need for account verification clear to the user at different points of the experience. There are three suggested points to notify the user:

a. At the point of onboarding (when first joining the experience).

b. Exclusive feature access (when they interact with an object).

c. Special zone access (when they enter an area of the experience).

Here are a few ideas on how to incorporate messaging and icons into the implementation of the IsVerified API:

1. We suggest highlighting user benefits at the point of asking the user to verify so they are motivated to do so.

We are eager to see how you use this API! We will continue to improve the API over time to increase accuracy and coverage.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any help or feedback. We are here to support you.

Thank you.

268 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This will help with combating ddosers, but its not a full solution to the problem. Do you have any internal ETA’s for solving this isue?

47 Likes

Thank you so much! This will really help for my work in progress competitive time trial experience in which players can compete to get on global leaderboards.

Really hoping to see more features soon to help preemptively reduce the effects of exploiters. I am not super familiar with developing a robust anticheat so seeing more tools and guides to help with this would be much appreciated.

26 Likes

This is an “OK” update, I mean why can you only verify your ID and Phone number, I think you should also be able to verify your email too! But thats just what I think

32 Likes

Will there be a way to just filter out voip numbers, or will we only be able to check if they are verified & don’t have a voip number?

18 Likes

This is interesting. However, can’t someone just verify multiple accounts with the same phone number? This can just consider them as “verified” while ignoring the fact they’ll still want to break the rules. Can’t we filter out on which method we want to verify the players with?

22 Likes

VOIP numbers are already filtered out by Roblox. So phone verified players means that they are verified non-VOIP numbers

28 Likes

THIS IS BIG!

So many games have issues with alt accounts. Since account creation is free anyone can just exploit/break rules in your game on another account,
and it normally wouldn’t be possible to detect that it’s an alt.

I can already imagine actions such as paying someone, or certain rewards, can only be accessed by having a verified account! So exploiters or whatnot
would less likely want to break the rules.

Imagine this, there’s a game with 2 teams, like Jailbreak. Police and Criminals.

Normally you could get on your phone, and on an alt account abuse the power of the Police role, for example, give yourself
a keycard, or access to something.

I can also see this encouraging more people to actually play on their real accounts, and not alts. Because in just a month I’m sure it’s gonna be everywhere :blush:

Awesome stuff, I’m glad Roblox is doing something to help us devs fight against rule breaks. Keep up the great work!

19 Likes

YES YES YES OH MY GOD!!!

Is this live already??? Would this be possible to use in production already?

15 Likes

Is there any way to use these example UI popups?

29 Likes

Interesting API change. The following does also concern me though:

I feel like you should be able to check a player’s verified status based on whether they verified via phone number or government-issued ID. You don’t want people bypassing this just by verifying with a throwaway disposable number on multiple accounts.

17 Likes

The best idea is to implement an API that would allow us to punish people through that ID/number. Roblox would save that data, and any other accounts linked to it would be viewed as punished in our game.

Plus, disposable numbers are just ridiculous anyway. Takes a while to make, most of them are not free, and it’s straight up a waste of time.

19 Likes

Read the post man :slight_smile:

All the information and links to the docs are all there. I’m sure there’s a function and stuff for it, it seems to work like a prompt I’m guessing

13 Likes

I did (I always do before I post) and I have looked at the docs and there aren’t any “function and stuff” as you claim. All that is there is the player:IsVerified() API (which only returns true/false- no popup).

Please read the API yourself before “guessing” that I am wrong and didn’t read it.

17 Likes

Regardless of what phone number they used to verify, I still think knowing how they verified would come in handy.

This would also solve a lot of those issues, assuming it’s per-game though.

11 Likes

Those are just example UI (assuming the player is joining), so we’ll have to design our own UI. At least for the looks.

9 Likes

Amazing feature, I just hope it won’t block that many players from playing certain games because parents don’t want to give any ID, nor phone number…

10 Likes

Thank you for this feature! Hopefully, with a new server-sided anti-cheat and this feature combined, we can finally have experiences with much fewer exploiters.

Though hopefully, game developers will not use this API to all out prevent un-verified users from joining their experiences.

Also, is there a way to make those UI prompts appear on the screen with a method or are they just there for an example visual?

9 Likes

An email verification API would be nice, but new emails can be created in less than a minute, which would allow bots and exploiters (which this API is targeting) to easily use an alternate email to get verified, which defeats the purpose of this new feature. Phone numbers and IDs are significantly harder to fake or mass-produce, which is why email verification is not applicable in this case.

I’ve never been a fan of verifying my ID, but at least this prompt allows those who do not wish to scan their ID to verify their phone number instead.

14 Likes