It is impossible to reliably identify a Team Test server

As a Roblox developer, detecting a Team Test server is impossible if your game uses reserved servers. Currently, the only method to identify a server as a team test is the following:

local isTeamTest = (#game.PrivateServerId > 0 and game.PrivateServerOwnerId == 0)

This works, but it also flags reserved servers (which the game I’m working on depends on), so it cannot be used in my use case.

Additionally, RunService:IsStudio() does not support team test servers and will return false.

If Roblox can address this issue, it would improve my development experience because my team
and I could utilise team test servers to move faster when developing. Right now, we have to test in live game servers, which slows down our iteration speed.

6 Likes

I support, however don’t really see an use case for it.
A fix could potentially be:

It should return true. Using your method and the fix, you can detect if the server is Team Test.

1 Like

The game I’m working on depends on validating and using JoinData when a player teleports to a reserved server. That JoinData is unavailable in studio (team test or otherwise), so I mock it when IsStudio returns true. The closest workaround for this is hardcoding place IDs to identify testing servers, which is sloppy and prone to error (we often have multiple copies of the game to work off of).