It should be possible to use Roblox Studio offline

They require you to sign in for that. I’m referring to the feature where you can use studio without an account, slightly before guests were removed. I was present on the platform a week before they were removed, so I was able to experience Studio that way. They didn’t let you save a game, they only let you access local files. It makes me think back and wish that I didn’t update studio (but I made an account before guests were removed anyways).

I suppose it adds another layer of security, even if you would only be able to access local files. If anything, I really think that Roblox wants to move away from local files over to cloud-hosted experiences on Studio as well.

Yes. I only work using local game files. This is fine.

Texture rendering - I don’t need this to test my code
Sounds - I don’t need this to test my code
UI elements - I assume you refer to the textures. I don’t need this to test my code.
My scripts use services, but my game will still run without them.

I addressed this already. My entire game is designed so I can quickly test changes with clean local dependencies, (no web dependencies.) It’s over 100k lines and I know it would work offline (without textures/sounds of course.) I don’t expect online features. The whole point of running offline is for when there are outages or you don’t have internet access for some period. In these cases it’s much better to be able to do something, anything, than be blocked from even opening your place file.

The client runs locally. The server when testing runs locally. The explorer and script editor run locally. Some specific async methods won’t work, and this is to be expected. There’s no cloud-based magic going on. It’s a game engine with various web apis, image/sound streaming, and various optional web features. I work off of a local file, as it’s always been the most reliable workflow for me.

It’s frustrating to have my daily work routine interrupted multiple times throughout the year with no warning.

10 Likes

As someone serving in the US Navy. There will be many times when I won’t have internet, deployments, underways, etc.

It would make it so much easier for me to be able to continue to work on my games and other content while I’m out to sea without internet.

I know that I’m in a very small group of developers that this even applies to, but I’m just trying to voice that in general this would be great for everyone to have.

15 Likes

The online-only aspect of Roblox Studio is not just an annoyance, it is an impedence and legitimate concern for my financial well-being. Offline Studio must be supported.

I have been hit by Hurricanes (plural) Ian, Michael, and Irma since Roblox has become my only source of income. Hurricane Ian took my power and Internet out for a month.

The expectation that studios will allow employees to miss a month’s time in work is unrealistic. It is only because the working community here is caring and understanding, was I able to keep my position. I am grateful for them, and not Roblox. In any other industry, I would have lost my job.

In the same way that we can’t expect Roblox to offer all technical aspects of Studio and the Roblox Engine, Roblox cannot expect developers to pay the much more traumatic expense in attempting to escape these already life threatening situations, even when predictable. I do not want to see this wait until there are expensive suits over undue hardship compensation.

There is a large community of developers who provide the platform much success based out of Tampa and Orlando. These people and many more unheard voices across the southern United States experience the same problems.

Development tools, with full IDEs included, have always followed an industry standard of being either connection agnostic or supplemental. Roblox not following this is a flaw in Studio’s design and engineering.

I understand the perspective that we cannot use valuable tooling coming in the future without outsourcing the processing to specialized servers. I don’t need that stuff, I need Studio’s core functionality, and I don’t care what amount of it is stripped away to get to that point, save for the engine itself. It is an absolute necessity that I am able to use Studio to support my lifestyle, regardless of Internet connection.

12 Likes

Thsi is something a lot of people would like, but that Roblox will never implement, and this, is why Roblox isn’t permanent for Development, all of the other Engines don’t require me to be connected and rely on Roblox Servers, but Roblox didn’t want to listen…

3 Likes

I guess I can see why this feature request is less in demand now that Roblox is having less outages. We shall see what happens in Summer.

However, it would still require them to make offline assets. It would be much easier if they could just make a project folder like any other game engine.

6 Likes

We need Offline Studio, the power can sometimes go off and so will my internet. Luckily, i can use laptop but not being able to launch Roblox Studio without internet connection sucks.
In fact, i fucking hate Always-Online trend and it needs to go. I see games that have singleplayer modes require an persistent internet connection…

10 Likes

another roblox outage
another pained ask “why no offline mode”
there is 1 external lua program that appears to work… by caching and replaying all your http request to roblox.com

8 Likes

Mine is not fine it used 700Mb - 1Gb per 3-4 hours

i don’t have unlimited internet that’s why i can’t open roblox studio more

or i don’t open it most of the times because it’s internet usage is Very high

( in games too but this is not from roblox is think it’s from the creators of the games )

-Sorry for my english

1 Like

The hardwired “no connection” lock seems to only be when opening studio, or when opening a new place.

That’s probably when it does the most downloading, but you can try enabling your internet on opening and disabling it once everything is loaded. Most things work without internet, it’s just testing that doesn’t work really.
Perhaps that can help.

They recently added some AIs. Who knows how much bandwidth that takes up…

2 Likes

Probably that’s the reason : I do test my game a lot

well thanks

i will try to check everyting beffore testing and will try your way in hope to Reduce my internet usage

2 Likes

I know I’m reviving a somewhat dead topic again. But this is still just so inconvenient for me… I’m Active Duty in the Navy, and because I can’t work offline I’m not going to be able to work on a game or anything through deployment…

10 Likes

Another roblox outage, another bump…

We’re lucky to not be using team create, so we can atleast open our place when the servers are working a bit. But this is still so inconvenient.

Server crashes can happen, and it’s totally understandable that this leads to reduced access for players. To me it’s not understandable that this also leads to the same reduced access for devs.
I can happily live without many of the fancy editor features that require a constant internet access.

The biggest issue is ofc testing, but that could most likely use a form of caching (it probably does already…); async network functions can return a default value, or even an error.

I wonder what the real reason is that we aren’t allowed to use studio offline. Analytics?

4 Likes

I completely agree with this. Roblox’s servers are notoriously unreliable and experience outages frequently, with micro outages happening about once a day. The servers have been like this for years, and it’s been proven time and time again that the servers need major work done on them, yet it seems like it’s never done. This can be quite frustrating, not only for developers but also for general players. Yesterday, I was trying to work on my game, and I’d randomly disconnect due to the outages, losing about 10-20 minutes of work (which happened to be a lot). As soon as I rewrote the lost code, guess what? I’d disconnect again and lose it. I’ve been thinking about moving to Visual Studio Code for my work, but right now, it seems like it would be too much effort, as all of my game was scripted within Studio. I don’t really see why Studio can’t have an offline mode. Obviously to publish the game and download assets we’d need to be online, but other than that, I don’t see why we can’t have this.

1 Like

Time and time again, people are still complaining about the servers. However, I believe that it is rather the allocation that is the problem. Roblox could simply allocate a few backup resources for developers to use to continue working on projects while the player side of Roblox is still down.

2 Likes

A fair bit of the people complaining about it were saying that their wifi was unstable

1 Like

This seems to be the case; however, I believe the majority of people here use Ethernet, either through PC or their Android device using Ethernet tethering.

1 Like

A majority isn’t everyone though. That’s the key thing. I personally don’t use Ethernet and nobody I know does either

1 Like

Even though that is the case, WiFi does not influence Roblox’s outages whatsoever. If you have a spotty connection, you can use tethering.

1 Like