It's 2023, *please* give us discrete graphics options

Zfeatureharmony existed for a bit and then they just abandoned it. it was gonna do this exact thing but roblox sucks ¯_(ツ)_/¯

8 Likes

At least add rez scale so the Ui still looks good then just upscale using FSR

2 Likes

My desktop is the opposite, the GT 710 I had to throw in due to a dying GPU loves AA but doesnt like running fancy things at higher resolutions so I can seriously enable max AA and lower game resolution if its seperate from UI resolution

Things like this are why its important

I remember tweaking the studio settings when I had a bad PC and it changing the client too in 2019 so it did that up until recently

Interesting. I thought it stopped when they revamped the settings UI.

The settings API page went unchanged into 2020 and I swear I changed the studio settings for the client as recently as 2022

The recent creator AMA had this to say in response to a question about more graphics settings than just the existing 1-10 bar for the client:

The point shouldn’t be to continue locking clients into a simple bar and simply improving the backend and automation of how those settings applies. Roblox has a terrible bad habit with black boxing and automating things that either don’t need to be automated or where fine tuning should also be supported. It’s really disappointing that a simple slider is the future of client graphics options.

Clients really need to be able to adjust these graphics on their own so they can build and enrich the graphics experience on their own. I’m fortunate enough to have a high-end device to always run everything at maximum but if I didn’t, I would at least want to be able to turn off very specific graphics features while retaining the rest to ensure I can enjoy the various worlds made by creators.

I maintain my own modular settings menu in my experience to assist clients with improving performance while encouraging them to also keep their graphics settings high to enjoy the feeling of our worlds. The work of graphics fine tuning should not be entirely offloaded onto developers while also trusting Roblox to make sane decisions and working around said decisions about how the graphics slider should act with no room for compromise.

Discrete graphics options are needed. The future of graphics tuning should not be strictly limited to engine optimisations, but giving power to clients to adjust their experiences as well. So many games support this; Roblox not only drags their feet here, but won’t even entertain the idea.

25 Likes

Yes, I agree. I actually posted the question asking if they had plans to add it. I was very disappointed, and a bit surprised, that they don’t plan on adding it. It is very needed!

2 Likes

Posting here again in the hopes that Roblox staff see this is an essential feature.

Roblox isn’t going to successfully “age up” with a 1-10 slider for graphics, no matter how smart or advanced it is.

6 Likes

I still think respectively this feature would be a neat additive.

Why is Roblox more focused on long-term projects, rather than easier achievable short term projects.

Most games or platforms to this date handle graphics in this unique advanced way that it has become a standard in the industry.

This would improve the overall experience for all players, and if it’s due to users using mostly phones or tablet devices, then keep them the standard slider.

This is a need, rather than a want. It could help developers expand on their experiences a lot further without crappy graphic limitations. And if they don’t want to incorporate it themselves, why not give us the ability to do it ourselves?

2 Likes

This feature needs to be added, wether roblox likes it or not.

it is so embarrasing as a developer to only have 2 ways to mayor ways to “turn down” graphics, which are removing textures and global shadows.

Why can’t we just access the graphics settings on clients and have more control over them, I would literally like to be able to a play a game with minimum render distance but max quality for everything rendered or viceversa.

2 Likes

what’s dum is it used to be in a beta version of the game,
look up “ZFeatureHarmony” or Click Here For DevForum Link

2 Likes

note that it says at top “enable/disable” and disable is defualt, if disable is on you get the slider, so lil kids dont accidently bump something

i really wish i lived in a world where i could raise the render distance above 3 nanometers without also enabling shadow casting lights in the process, instantly detonating my GPU like an egg in a microwave

actually, roblox already supports changing resolution scale separately from window size/UI scale!
…only on mobile though.

4 Likes

Minecraft is roughly as old as Roblox and supports discrete graphics options. This is a bad excuse in favour of retaining a 1-10 gauge for graphics, whether you’re speaking from their perspective or not, and I’m not having it. There is no reason why Roblox can continue to push the future of graphics and not work on discrete graphics options longterm.

Please can we stop using this “Roblox doesn’t profit from it” excuse for complacency, it’s damaging to conversations about improving the experience for players and developers alike.

4 Likes

…Yeah, I didn’t notice that the thread was solely about the idea of having more options for graphic settings at first.

I just assumed that this was another thread about people wanting the option to have more photo-realistic graphics on the platform, despite the game engine not really being capable of this.

So I’ll just go on to state that I do support the idea since I’ve had issues with building large cities in Studio due to my low-end computer since it does take up 75% of my RAM at times.

It’s been pretty frustrating to work like this, so it defiantly would be a useful feature.

2 Likes

If only that was a thing… Oh right it did, but just like all good Roblox features it got thrown in the trash!

27 Likes

That would be amazing to have…

2 Likes

It’s a bit of an open-ended statement here. To be fair, they do support a loose variant of fine-tuning through post-effects and others but, anything past that would be a large, steep learning curve. In graphics, it’s really hard to implement simple to use things (outside of what they already provided) and it’s harder trying to convey that to clients / players of different device types and whatnot. Even more-so if you look at how rigid the graphics pipeline actually is.

I definitely support better graphic control but, you have to realize that it’s a huge technical challenge that more than likely requires a full rewrite of their existing graphics pipeline. And that’s for the 1-2% that may take advantage of it in the first place.

Higher-resolution texture support (4K) would be a nice alternative and improve the feel of most games without as much work. I use “as much” loosely here because there’s probably gotchas all over the place.

I think this all boils down to two things: feature parity across all supported platforms and consistency.

1 Like

It’s still a bit weird that the discrete graphics menu is a literal working feature that exists, but yet it simply isn’t part of the platform because Roblox chooses not to do anything with it for some reason.

Because this exact menu in the video is literality what everyone here is asking for, but yet it’s just not being added to the platform since…they just don’t feel like it?

I don’t get why people have to ask at this point.

I’m kinda hoping it’s just in alpha-testing or something, since throwing away a feature like that would be a complete waste tbh.

11 Likes

I would really need a render distance feature where I can see far away without having to put my graphics quality up and lagging.

3 Likes