This tutorial is about backing up your data using Cloud Services, External Storage Drives and many useful tips and features
We’ll go over these topics:
- Cloud Services
- External Storage
This is applicable for all Windows 10 PC with any edition, sorry Mac users. also Linux
Apart from our common needs for basic survival we all HATE losing our work, and it doesn’t matter if it’s from a fire, stolen/lost device, software crashes or hardware failures it’s all the same it’s all pain. Not to mention losing access to your Roblox account
Which is why you should also NEVER rely on Roblox as your backup source, do NOT risk yourself on a single point of failure.
- I’m at risk of losing my data
- I have Cloud backups
- I have Physical Storage backups
- I have both Cloud & External Storage backups
(and if you have been developing games on Roblox long enough I am willing to bet my life that Roblox Studio has crashed upon you at least once)
Which is why I am sharing my methods of keeping files safe to prevent rainy days and sad stories like “a dog ate my homework”. is it a cyber dog?!
So follow along and you will receive benefits like:
- Syncing multiple devices for people with multiple workstations
- Always available & shareable files, you’ll never have to say “I’ll send it to you when I get home” ever again!
- File history, File backups & System image backups for corruptions
and best of all most of this is free or at least less than $100 per year
I’m sure you have heard of Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive
I'll be using Google Drive because it's better
- 15 GB of FREE Cloud storage
- File Syncing on multiple devices
- Backing up individual devices
- Easy to use Interface
(and it is most likely that everyone has a Google account)
Download, Install and Run Backup and Sync For individuals
Login to your Google account
Open and configure preferences
For individual devices make sure to choose which folder you want to Backup the to cloud
That is for individual machine backups
It looks like this on the Web page
- For syncing on multiple devices make sure to choose which folder you want to Backup and Sync to the cloud and other devices
That is for syncing on multiple devices
It looks like this on the Web page
- Start your first backup, it takes a while depending on your Machine and Internet so be aware of that
they are generally the same
|Provider||Storage in GB||Monthly / Annually||USD per GB|
|100||1.99 / 19.99||0.0199|
|200||2.99 / 29.99||0.01495|
|2000||9.99 / 99.99||0.004995|
|1000||6.99 / 69.99||0.00699|
|1000 * 6||9.99 / 99.99||0.00009994|
While using Cloud storage is great and all it is NOT enough your computer might crash due to hardware failures or Windows Updates and not to mention if you don’t have access to internet. oh my the nightmares.
I’d recommend using a HDD over a SSD because they are cheaper per GB, have longer lifespans and we do not have a need for speed that SSD offers.
- Make sure to get one with a Type-C interface for faster speeds and future proofing
- Make sure to get one with enough storage, however I’d recommend anything over 1TB or more than your computer’s total storage
we will be backing up our System image and our files so we can do a full system restore in case of the worst!
- Go to “Backup” in settings
- Select “More options”
- Select the Folders you want to Backup using “Add Folder” / “Exclude Folder”
- Select “See advanced settings” under Related settings
- Select “System Image Backup”
- Select “Change Settings”
- Choose the Folders you want to Backup
- Choose a schedule
- Start your first backup, it takes a while depending on your Machine so be aware of that
For extra redundancy I recommend using Roblox with Rojo, Github and VS Code for your projects, however while we need redundancy for Backups it seems like the people here do not like that on the forums so I’ll not be covering this as there are already many tutorials on this.
As always happy developing!!
- I will be following this Tutorial
- I already have backups
- I’m not interested in backing up my data