It's time to change the arrow keys

local IsAgree = true

math.huge() IsAgree

Darn… just noticed @xuefei123 beat me.

2 Likes

No way, dudes. Arrow keys to move the camera improve the laptop experience dramatically. My own girlfriend would kill me if we removed that.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to at least add a toggle for how it works?

2 Likes

Big boye agree

1 Like

Sounds like changing it without any indication of what to do next is not a good idea since so many players rely on this behavior.

The best idea for how to approach this that I’ve heard so far is to make the arrow keys do camera controls only. The arrows have legitimate use as camera controls on laptops, for example.

Young players use the arrow keys because it is intuitive that the direction keys control direction. WASD is not intuitive. If this is changed, then we need some sort of tutorial for existing and new users about how to use WASD.

Best case scenario without a tutorial is that users smash all the keys and ask their friends until they find out how WASD works. That’s probably what would happen, and that’s not a good experience.

The only thing wrong with the arrow keys that I can see is that you think players would have a better experience and be better competition if they used WASD instead.

Perhaps the best experience for players is to let the intuitive form of control (arrow keys) still work, but you stick tutorials in your games for WASD. This way (young) players have a good, intuitive first-time experience and ease into the more advanced WASD + mouse movement, which will give them a better experience in the long run.

1 Like

I believe you, but how did you figure that out?
EDIT: I just remembered that when I went to ROBLOX HQ a couple years ago we were doing some game testing, and you (@Polyhex) were one of the people doing the testing, so I’m assuming that’s how you know? I sure don’t use the arrow key much, but I’d imagine that a lot of the younger kids at the tour would.

And I agree with this to an extent, but I think it’s true that the current function of the arrow keys helps a lot on laptops. I think it would be nice to have more ability to toggle key functions.

2 Likes

I agree this would be most helpful.

1 Like

IMO arrow keys behaving like WASD + Follow camera would be ideal for the players in mind. It’s in line with how basic controls work on the other platforms. It’s useful for laptops, but , and . also exist. They aren’t a great alternative, though.

There are just too many games where the arrow keys make the gameplay terrible, and too many problems with customizing the core player scripts, since you miss out on crucial updates.

3 Likes

roblox donate this feature pl0x

we ned!1!

The time has come…IMG_20171129_151355
Execute Order 66… …on old arrow key system.

3 Likes

I introduced my 3 young cousins to Roblox over :turkey: day. They all started with the arrow keys with no hand on the mouse and we’re reluctant to switch. This happens to every young kid I introduce the game too. I support this.

2 Likes

Bigger agree

1 Like

I live for the tank controls.
How else do you guys play with your feet?

5 Likes

When you have a custom camera so arrow keys don’t do anything :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Update:
Over Christmas my cousins started using WASD and said, “This is so much better!”

5 Likes