I've created the ability to load any web image into Roblox!

DISCLAIMER: Since this is a very dangerous feature that could violate TOS, I’m not going to release the code to anyone. This is a proof of concept and will never be used in live production.

I’ve developed a way to load any image from the internet into Roblox using a simple NodeJS server. It’s very CPU intensive and would be extremely impractical to use in a game, but it works.

Heres a video…

Ignore the image inversion, I accidentally flipped the X pixels.

16 Likes

Wow! This could save Atleast 1 hour of my development since I use so many textures!

1 Like

Would be cool if Roblox would allow us to enable an image filter. This might help reduce time consumption on just uploading and processing images. Very cool though!

3 Likes

I created a program in C# that does the same thing. User uploads a picture, and it is converted into a module. The module builds the UI.

There isn’t much you can do about this.

2 Likes

Are you just rendering the images with a frame per pixel?

2 Likes

I managed to do this once, this takes a huge amount of time to load. Think of around two hours for the server to clone a tiny frame per pixel for an image that’s 1000x1000 pixels. (Don’t think of rendingering HD images, that takes wayy longer) :wink:

Maybe I could have tried pipelining the build from the pixels, for example pixel line per line, but then we would still have 1920 scripts running at the same time for a full HD image. :thinking:

Kind regards,
Jonas

1 Like