JumpHeight/JumpPower 0 makes the player incredibly buoyant in water

When your character has JumpHeight = 0 and JumpPower = 0, you can time holding down the jump button in water to gain incredible height. In the below examples, this is amplified by the fact my game uses a lower workspace.Gravity value.

With JumpHeight and JumpPower as normal, the issue does not occur:

Expected behavior

I expect the character not to launch itself stratospherically above the water surface. Instead it should either:

• not be able to ascend above the water surface (interpreting 0 jump power as “should never leave the surface its on”, in line with the current interpretation on dry land)
  • launch a normal distance out of the water surface (for the purposes of entering and exiting water bodies)
9 Likes

Well, I guess you’re gonna have to make your own Custom Water to fix this or don’t set JumpPower to 0 while in water?

If you do make it, I look forward to that either as a tutorial, module, plugin I can buy or even better open source

I could, but this thread is mainly making sure Roblox knows about it, so it isn’t relevant here.

1 Like

This is just an acknowledgment announcement!

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and will come back as soon as we have updates!

Thanks for flagging!

1 Like

Something definitely looks funny here. I am also seeing some odd behavior when exiting the water. Can you provide a simple reproduction case so I can see the specifics of your setup? Assuming I am seeing the same issue as you, it seems like the odd behavior only occurs with JumpHeight identically equal to zero. Using a low value like 0.01 gives the expected behavior.

1 Like

I’ve noticed something else too. It’s framerate dependent:

Here’s the place file:
Repro.rbxl (48.1 KB)