Keeping track of players data and trades (to allow rollbacks)

I was curious how large games manager data and trading between players, so if a player loses their stuff, you can actually verify it? To my knowledge, if a datastore gets wiped then there’s no way to go back and check what a player has, and thus a player could just lie about items they lost. Same thing goes for trading. Is a third party site required for this?

In the game I’m making, we log player activity and upload their log externally. You could either go for a logging service or cloud server to store the logs.

Essentially, this would be our way of verifying lost progress in data store outages.

2 Likes

It’s hacky but I used Discord and webhooks to record all trades and new changes to the inventories of my playerbase.

I’d have to manually check for rollbacks but there wasn’t a lot of them requested.

You really shouldn’t use Discord for this. If there are enough player’s trading, Discord will notice it and possibly terminate your account. It’s against Discord’s ToS, but it probably won’t be an issue if it’s something small. Like for example, I’m going to be using it to log what my admins do.

What service do you use? This could be super helpful to me. Thanks!

We’re currently using a cloud server to make debugging faster and probably will for a while, but if we run into any scalability issues, we have our Papertrail setup waiting.