Kill thread outside of thread, without having to disable, nor destroy script?

I want to instantly kill a thread, basically just disabling a script, but a thread/coroutine instead.

Q&A:

• Q: What’s the issue?

• A: I want to instantly kill a thread, by not having to disable a script, nor destroying a script. I can’t disable a script, because I hit some rough problems, I’ll go through this below.

• Q: Why can’t you destroy and/or disable a script?

• A: It’s hard to explain, basically I’m doing a script-per-part system, so when an “interactable” part has been placed, a script is put inside the part, so the part becomes “interactable”, the problem is, I’m doing a client sided system too, so localscripts are included, and they only get executed in PlayerGui, PlayerScripts, etc. I would like to see localscripts get executed anywhere in the near future. Say we have a “script” inside the “interactable” part. Once a player deletes a placed “interactable” part, the thread must be killed to clean up mess and useless clutter in memory. The “script” inside the “interactable” part will be destroyed along with the part. This is not easy with localscripts since, once again, local scripts does not execute anywhere, just PlayerGui, PlayerScripts, etc. so then they wont get deleted once the “interactable” part gets destroyed.

If there is a better workaround to this, even without threads/coroutines, please let me know. :slightly_smiling_face:

I attempted to make a workaround for this, but today was not the day…

local killThreadEvent = Instance.new("BindableEvent", script)
killThreadEvent.Name = "KillThread"
local threads = {}
local function newThread(func)
	local thread
	thread = coroutine.create(function()
		killThreadEvent.OnEvent:Connect(function()
			local i = table.find(threads, thread)
			if not i then
				print("killed")
				coroutine.yield()
			end
		end)
		print("created")
		func()
		print("ended")
	end)
	table.insert(threads, thread)
	return thread
end

local function killThread(thread)
	local i = table.find(threads, thread)
	if i then
		table.remove(threads, i)
		killThreadEvent:Fire()
	end
end

local thread = newThread(function() print("abcdef") wait(5) print("foo bar") end)
coroutine.resume(thread)
wait(3)
killThread(thread)

I’ve seen other posts about “how to kill a thread”, I know about it, but now I’m just desperate for help.

tl;dr:
Kill threads/coroutines, outside of thread/coroutine, without having to disable script.

-fronthd

I would just use permanent scripts, local scripts and module scripts that are inside serverscriptservice, starterplayerscripts and replicated storage. I’m sure that you could do so too. I don’t know what exactly your code related to the interactable parts does, but I’m sure there’s a way to clean up unnecessary references without having to kill the thread.

For example, for each part, you could have an ancestryChanged listener to detect when it’s removed from the game. If you create connections in the interactable part code, store the connections related to each part to a table. Then, when the part is removed, disconnect the connections.

1 Like

What I mean by interactable parts, is, say one player wants to place an interactable part somewhere, it’s not interactable yet, until the scripts have executed in the part, which does a bunch of things to make the part work. When it comes to localscripts, it’s just over complicated, like, watch for new parts, run a bunch of threads, delete unnecessary threads when part doesn’t exist.
I wish localscripts could execute as a descendant of workspace.

I don’t know what you mean by permanent scripts, I have a part scripts folder in ServerScriptsService where I keep my modules with functions to be executed once a interactable part has been placed.

Could someone put add “execution for localscripts anywhere” on Roblox’s todo list? (just kidding)

Doing a bunch of over complicated things, such as watching for new parts, and making sure there are no memory leaks, is nowhere near my comfort zone in coding.