Knit controllers/services suggestions

like im thinking about this should i make every modules that i have into knit services/controllers
like if i do that are there any cons?

2 Likes

Knit is a framework for Roblox that helps structure your codebase in a clean, organized manner, enabling better modularity and maintainability. Utilizing Knit and organizing your code into Knit’s Controllers, Services, and Modules has several advantages:

1. Structure: The structure provided by Knit is clear and predictable, which makes it easier to manage code, especially in larger projects.
  2. Scalability: It’s easy to add more Controllers and Services as your game grows. You can also easily integrate new features or plugins without modifying much of the existing code.
  3. Interoperability: Controllers and Services can communicate with each other using Knit’s :GetService and :GetController methods.
  4. Event handling: Knit provides built-in support for event-driven programming with Signal and RemoteSignal.
  5. Convenience: Knit automatically requires and initializes all Services and Controllers for you.

However, there are also some potential downsides to consider:

1. Learning curve: If you’re new to frameworks, Knit might take some time to learn.
  2. Overkill for small projects: If your game is simple and small, using a framework like Knit might be unnecessary and add complexity.
  3. Performance overhead: There might be a slight performance overhead due to the abstraction and generality Knit provides, but this is generally minimal and not noticeable in most cases.
  4. Lack of flexibility: Knit encourages a certain structure and way of doing things, which can be limiting if you have specific requirements that don’t fit well with the framework.

Before you decide to convert all of your existing modules to Knit Services or Controllers, consider the size and complexity of your project, and whether the benefits of using Knit outweigh the potential downsides. If you decide to use Knit, be prepared to spend some time learning the framework and restructuring your code. Always remember to test your game thoroughly after any major codebase changes to ensure everything still works as expected.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.