Lacking Maya Documentation for new Avatar Bodies / Bundles

The documentation provided covers largely use of Blender. Would it be possible to also be provided with documentation to support Maya?

For example, the cleanup and merging of geometry into the “Head_Geo” does not seem to work with Maya (as maya creates a new accessory when merging geometry).

After much trial and error in merging the head geometry in Maya, I was unable to get the output to pass verification when importing the bundle into Studio.

Additional material specific to Maya for this new feature would be welcome.

Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/docs/art/avatar/creating/cleanup

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update!

Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Hi @Headpets!

Thanks for your patience here. At this time, we don’t have Maya documentation on the roadmap though I’ve requested that we incorporate additional software solutions to our resources for future updates when possible.

For your specific issue, I’ve reached out to some colleagues to see if there was a solution and had a couple of notes:

• The Maya equivalent to Blender’s “Join” functionality is called “Combine”.
  • When objects are combined in Maya, it creates a new object, which should be the Head_Geo in this case.
  • To pass validation in Studio, all the head related geometries (eyes, upper/lower teeth, tongue, etc) must be combined to a single Head_Geo. This concept is the same in Blender and Maya.
  • Additionally, the rig (Skeleton in Maya) needs to have the extra face joints removed (similarly named eyes, upper/lower teeth, tongue, etc). This must be performed before exporting or the validation may return an error.

I’ve reached out to the team to improve our error reporting on the validation process so it’s more clear what to resolve, but the messaging returned by the validation should give an idea on which steps may have been skipped/incorrectly performed.

Thanks for reporting this - let me know if this helps you out!