Lag Spikes When Players Touch Each Other

Reproduction Steps

This happens with any avatars that are using skinned meshes or layered clothing. Simply run into somebody and you’ll see a few InvalidatedFastClusters cause a massive lag spike every 0.2 seconds or so.

Expected Behavior

I expect when players touch each other for the game to perform perfectly fine.

Actual Behavior

When two players enter each other’s personal space there will be a massive lag spike as the game recalculates their clothing deformation. It also happens frequently with NPCs.

This also happens even if you disable the climbing state, disable CanTouch, AND put character parts in a collisiongroup that can’t collide with itself.

Workaround

Not at this time.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-12-01 00:12:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-12-13 00:12:00 (-05:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

11 Likes

UPDATE:

Using collision groups, there is actually a noticeable improvement for Player on Player contacts. However, regardless of collision groups, if a player touches an NPC, or NPCs touch each other, everyone in the game will lag.

1 Like

We are experiencing this problem as well. Removing layered clothing reduces it but does stop the problem.

Can you post profiler dumps that show the layered clothing issue and the contact issue?

1 Like

I have also experienced this problem Before. Try Removing layered clothing As it does reduce The Lag spike it won’t completely solve the problem. Just a little tip.

I played with an FPS unlocker to make the spikes more obvious

I’ve experimented with this and only certain clothes with layered clothing are affected by it. I cannot pinpoint how their structure contributes to the game lag, but I’ve seen it happen before.

Hey everyone, TC2 code has been removed. Thanks again for the report, and so sorry for the late confirm here. Closing out this thread.