Large amount of player thumbnails are the default roblox "pending" icon

I have a little server running some NodeJS code that takes feedback from roblox games, gets a profile picture using the player’s ID, and submits the feedback to discord.

The problem is, the majority of the player headshots that I’m getting is the “pending icon.”

Here’s an example: Capture|567x500

Is there any good way to reliably have the player icon be generated before I push a message to discord?

1 Like

No, at the moment you can’t ask/force Roblox to generate a thumbnail for a player.

This endpoint, though, does include “Final” and “SubstitutionType” values which should at least tell you whether the user has a thumbnail…
https://www.roblox.com/avatar-thumbnail/json?userId=15750190&width=100&height=100&format=png

2 Likes

I think the request itself is what tells Roblox to generate the thumbnail. In order to get a valid thumbnail, you’ll have to make one request to ask Roblox to generate it, then repeatedly make requests to check if it has been generated. This is the same way that GetUserThumnailAsync is used.

Getting the thumbnail of avatars is a hit-and-miss type of thing, it way too commonly returns a pending icon. So maybe you could make the code re “get” the image until you have a proper thumbnail. You’d have to have some way of detecting that the image is a pending icon though.

This happens on devforum as well

Screenshot_20180423-121117_Chrome

That “Final” should be the thing I’m looking for. Thank you!

Also, use 150x150. Other sizes are less likely to be pregenerated.

1 Like