Large-Scale Roblox Terrain: The ultimate guide

Hey, can you please update this tutorial with terragen? I have mac and it cannot run gaea since it is windows only. My windows pc has 4 gb ram and an i3 proccessor so it will probably crash.

1 Like

I probably won’t get around to this, as the goal of this tutorial was mainly to point out that you can make terrain by using external software and import it into Roblox. The specifics aren’t too relevant, I used Gaea as a convenient example case. I feel as though adding a section for Terragen or any other software of choice would add too much bulk to this tutorial, and writing a brand new tutorial would result in a lot of redundancy, as the process should be very similar.

If you’re already comfortable with Terragen (or any other procedural terrain generation program capable of exporting terrain meshes), the import process into Studio will be exactly the same.

2 Likes

Were you able to add grass and change color and that stuff? because it doesn’t rly look like terrain to me. (I’m talking about the end result.)

1 Like

Grass can be enabled in Workspace > Terrain > Decorations

You can change the terrain efficiently with the “Replace” tool in Roblox’s Terrain Editor, which will swap a certain terrain with your target terrain.

2 Likes

I ended up with a sphere of stone and sand rather than the expected mountain terrain after running the code

1 Like

Fixed: imported into blender and changed the scale (about 500x-5000x worked for me)

1 Like

Either there’s something very wrong with my settings or the Mesh filter on Gaea broke.

Gaea ^
Studio v

Scale is set to the recommended 4000. Followed all steps up until converting from parts to terrain.
I did do some toolbox filters though, but as I said in Gaea it looks fine.

3 Likes

Any errors in the output? Never had an issue with this.

1 Like

I’ll look into this when I get back to my apartment. What version of Gaea are you using?

It may help to go into Blender and stretch the height of your model before importing into Studio.

1 Like

Go on build and in the bottom there should be terrain definition. Increase the scale there

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the tutorial and intro to Gaea! I’ve been looking for a way to make better large-scale terrain for a while now but with Roblox’s basic terrain tools, it’s been a struggle to do.

With this I’d be able to complete projects in a quarter of the time I usually take because of how quickly Gaea generates complex, natural-looking large-scale terrain.

Can’t wait to start using this in future projects especially with the new heightmaps update. :>>

2 Likes

That was an amazing tutorial it really helps making huge landscapes

1 Like

Very nice, the existing terrain tools Roblox provides are not very useful.

2 Likes

I couldn’t import it. When I try to use .obj importer, the parsed faces just be 0 and I get nothing. I couldn’t save it as entire terrain because there wasn’t an entire terrain option for me. So, I saved it with a mesher node and built it instead. Is this the problem? Everything looks fine in Blender and I got the mesh code to a script.

1 Like

Mesher node is the way to go. Make sure that you have the script selected in the object explorer when you use the import plugin.

1 Like

I did, I checked it. I can’t really understand, do I need to do something else than clicking on the script to select it?

2 Likes

I can’t seem to import my terrain without Studio crashing when I move my camera (60 fps to 0 instantly if attempting to face to the rendered parts), and my laptop has a decent specs. (Ryzen 9 4900H, has 8 cores so total 16 threads and RTX 2060)

It’s important to limit the quality of your LOD when importing as a mesh. By default the triangle count is very high, and the importer generates the mesh with instanced wedge parts.

How can I limit or reduce the LOD quality then?

Decided to revisit this and
Set it somewhere 300 and Roblox will survive from the lag

1 Like