Launch of Recommendation Feed on Roblox Web

What about moving the Favorites section to right under the Continue section?

15 Likes

I hope those tiles will have the ability to slide depending on the amount of thumbnails the game has

11 Likes

I’m expecting a small difference of what’s going to happen in the platform since they’re already as randomized as they are.
I am seeing that some issues are continuously not being addressed such as the R63 games that weren’t visible to be visible including the fact that they’re already as visible as they are in the current version of platform discovery.

12 Likes

Sadly, the majority of the Roblox player base has the attention span of a goldfish, so I’d say that it would genuinely “help” more players if Roblox promoted as many different games as possible.

Regardless, I agree that Roblox should at least go through the effort of having the Favorites row be at the top, because it wouldn’t take much away from the recommendations.

11 Likes

This feels too crowded and is visually too much of a simple continuous grid to be easy to look through. Adding some type of color coding or at least symbols to make each category stand out would I think would help make this more browsable. There’s also so many rows, I think that this would be easier to work with if it was broken down more into sections. Maybe have one section for the continue and favorite rows, one section for the recommended and sponsored rows, and one section for the rest of the rows?

11 Likes

Some people says it’s a good update but it’s not. I can already tell this is gonna be a mistake.

14 Likes

That’s actually an intentional feature.

11 Likes

It’s not. Algorithms are AI, so they dont have biases

Please don’t spread misinfo :grin:

9 Likes

I just wish Roblox would stop changing up the homepage. This is what my homepage currently looks like thanks to browser extensions:

This is all I want to see. Friends, Continue, and Favorites, not any of this extra clutter. Why can’t they understand that nobody wants to scroll for 20 seconds just to get to their favorites.

World’s worst UX.

The Discover page exists for a reason, why not use that instead? I’ve never understood this; it’s literally called Discover! Home is where things I care about should be; it shouldn’t be Discover 2.0. Maybe I’d actually use the Discover page if these recommendations were put over there instead.

24 Likes

Actually, AIs can be biased, and its likely the Roblox’s algorithm is biased to games that generate more revenue over others.

13 Likes

At the end of the day, they do have to pay for Server Costs, employee’s, moderation, Data, Info, and more so it is somewhat understanable to do that

10 Likes

Could someone explain what the recommendation feed is?
I’m not sure what it is. And unfortunately the post doesn’t seem to explain it?

8 Likes

I don’t think that’s an issue of discovery, rather I’d assume an issue of how moderation at Roblox works. Based on public information, I’d assume moderators only delete things when reported, not actively search the website.

It wouldn’t make sense to ask hundreds or more to go into the website itself and search the platform. There is a manual reporting system that also is aided by ML on-upload of said item.

For discovery, Roblox could blacklist the term “R63” maybe. Roblox has the value of safety at its core.

@Hooksmith could you jump in here? Roblox in its current state shouldn’t allow suggestive content. I do understand the amount of content uploaded and existing on Roblox is large. I feel reporting the content is the best advice to give people, but other than that, I’m at a loss.

9 Likes

I understand your use case here, and I agree to an extent. Having only continue and favorites on home might be good for some, but it’s not for the majority, creators and Roblox included as well.

Roblox starts on the homepage. The most traffic Roblox gets is the homepage. So, Roblox adding discovery to the homepage makes sense for better platform retention. The better the recommendation algorithm, the better that homepage and retention is. The issue here is that Roblox’s recommendation system isn’t good enough and has its limits.

I think users should be able to customize their own homepage. The default can be with the recommended sort, but that use case you mention of favorites and continue only is valid.

What would you say to a feature like this? (Toggling the recommendation sort on the homepage, but it being the default.)

7 Likes

I doubt we’ll see anything like this soon. The least they could do is just move favorites to the top like people have been asking.

7 Likes

The Recommendation Feed is a list of games to play. The games on that feed are added based on various factors in an algorithm. Each users’ recommendation feed looks different.

The idea is to match users with games they’d want to play without them searching/directly knowing. If you’d like more info on how the algorithm works, I made this post about My Research on the Roblox Algorithm & Discovery for Experiences/Games.

Does this adequately answer you question?

8 Likes

Thanks, Roblox! Now I can see all the latest skibidi toilet simulators because we all know it isn’t going to recommend anything personalized.

8 Likes

This is really disturbing to me. If one of if not the most top earning developer on Roblox is being screwed over by the algorithm, then no one is safe from it.

Roblox, please please please please please actually look into what is going wrong with game sorting. Every month it seems like recommendations are becoming more and more detached from any sensical user statistic whatsoever. There are literal fetish games popping up in my younger family’s homepage, and moderation sure as hell isn’t taking care of those.

I really want all this to make sense, I really do. But if not even money is enticing you guys to injure discovery then I don’t know what is. This is a systematic failure that’s built-up for far too long.

8 Likes

which indeed makes it an intentional feature

7 Likes

Can we get an opt-in toggle to just turn all this recommendation stuff off and get practical features (such as favorites and recently played) without algorithmically generated clutter or intervention?

I understand you guys want to maximize engagement but developers and other power users often have different goals than the bulk of the playerbase.

As a developer I want quick access to a preselected list of experiences (games I am working on, or which I am interested in or enjoy more than the average game). Similarly, some players have experiences which they spend a disproportionate amount of time playing in comparison to everything else.

For these kinds of users, if they value their manually created lists over the algorithmically generated lists, they would prefer to disable the latter on the home page, and if they want to get recommendations they can just go to the “Discover” page.

I would also point out that you may be able to increase engagement by improving the overall performance of all experience-related UIs. The website app is kind of sluggish and clunky which reduce the likelihood of me doing things like expanding collapsed menus (which literally means being taken to an entirely separate webpage! I don’t want to do that, I want things to be inline and fast!) or visiting the Discover page, but these issues can be solved with better UI design and performance optimization. The mobile app is okay (and doesn’t need this homepage change imo because it’s already super easy to go to the discover page) but the web UI kinda sucks.

10 Likes