LaunchData is consistently a blank string of text

I implemented an invite system in which players can invite their friends to the experience with their UserId as the LaunchData. The problem is, when that invited player joins the game, the LaunchData is simply an empty string.

The weird thing is, I have the exact same code in the test experience as the main published experience. In the test experience, the LaunchData successfully displays the UserId of the inviter, and the ensuing code works just fine. However, upon following the exact same steps in the live experience, it fails to display the UserId of the inviter.

Local code prompting the invites & setting the LaunchData:

PlayerAdded event, hosted on the server:

The output from the above code when a player joins the game after clicking the invite. The LaunchData is a blank string:

The exact same code’s output, but in the test experience. The LaunchData successfully displays the inviter’s UserId:

I’m not sure exactly what would be causing this. All of the settings in both experiences/places are the exact same, and the exact same code is being used. I even removed the InviteMessageId to see if that made a difference in either place, but got the same result. I’ve also looked up this issue and it seems like other developers are having similar issues.

10 Likes

I too have frequently noticed this issue. I hope this gets resolved ASAP!

2 Likes
  1. I have also noticed this issue. I hope this gets resolved asap!
1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

Yeah I also have this issue when I was trying to use it over a month ago.

Hi this is a prominent issue in my game - any updates on this?

Bumping this issue. Happening to me on all games.

We are also experiencing this issue and looking forward to a followup and eta on a fix for this thanks.

We have tried all options shown in the API examples and included code to wait for up to 10 seconds after a PlayerAdded event to look for LaunchData and it is not received.

Hey, i am still getting the same issue. looks like not fixed for 1 months. Any updates?

1 Like

Can confirm this issue is still there.

Has this bug been fixed? Because the same error appeared for me

1 Like

Yes, its looks like its fixed!

You can try out here:
TestPlace.rbxl (54.6 KB)

I tested your place!
But it seems like still blank string for me.

1 Like

Are you sure? Because when I checked before, this error was fixed for me. But if it’s as you say, this error may have reappeared

can confirm its reappeared for me. Its consistently blank.

2 Likes

Hi thirdtakeonit,

We’re still running into this issue while developing invite prompts for our game Club Roblox.

If you could please provide an update on this bug request that would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Steve

1 Like

Experiencing the same issue…

I am also experiencing the same issue.