Layered clothing botches character face normals

So mainly UGC bundles have this issue where if you have layered clothing applied to the character, the normals of the character rig change and it causes bizarre shading issues that are not intended

For reference this is just a bundle that is work in progress without any layered clothing

This is when i wear something that involves an outer cage

I’m not entirely sure if this is a bug but assuming that the strange shading gets removed when removing the layered clothing figured it would be a good idea to make a report on this.

A private message is associated with this bug report

2 Likes

May be related to this.

its not, i don’t got textures on the body at the moment of time and its the geometry’s shading thats getting messed up

Does the character have custom normals set? HSR (hidden surface removal) removes covered parts of the initial mesh for performance reasons, but the removal of geometry might be messing up the normals.

yeah, it has custom normals specifically so that the edges of the body parts don’t have strange bumps on them and to look smooth, the strange thing is on the roblox studio game, no geometry is being removed whatsoever

Could you provide a screenshot with View > Wireframe Rendering on?

theres definitely some wireframe changes that i notice, its just weird because the item i put on is literally hair, only applies to the head, it shouldn’t mess with other body parts

Silly question, but what package is this?

Edit: I guess I missed this. Sorry :sob:

From the screenshot it doesn’t look like HSR is affecting the geometry, only the cage deformer which is snapping the hair geometry to the head geometry. I’ll let engineers investigate, just wanted to get more information that might help them

It’s part of the layered clothing deformer. If the outer cage vertices are entirely covered by a item’s inner cage, then the geometry of the body part that’s covered is “hidden”. You can try this out by equipping a layered clothing shirt, and setting the Transparency of it to 1. All the areas that were covered by the shirt should be invisible.

Thanks for the report! Just to confirm, we have a ticket filed in our internal database for this issue.