Layered clothing disappearing when altering character scale beyond certain values

[ This is more of a bug report, but I do not have access to that section of the forums ]

For the past two or three days ago, layered clothing has been behaving worse than ever.
Usually, when scaling the character up dramatically to something extreme, (such as 50 or higher), it would make some layered clothing layers disappear (although there were clothing items that still worked when not combined with anything else).

This wasn’t much of a problem (in my opinion, at least), because although the behavior was odd, I couldn’t see any practical use cases for such scales, even though it was good to have such a large margin to work with. However, now, anything higher than a scale of 4 will trigger this erratic behavior.

Clothes that were working fine a week ago, are now breaking on any values higher than 4 or 5. There’s obviously something that has been changed recently causing this issue.

It’s easy to reproduce this issue:

1. Log in to Roblox Studio
  2. Create an empty project
  3. Wear an avatar with layered clothing (it’s more likely to happen if you combine clothes that cover something underneath, such as a shirt and a jacket)
  4. Select your character object
  5. Set your scale to 5 or higher.
  6. Watch your clothes poof, leaving you naked and ashamed.

Some extra information…

This essentially hits, in a negative way, an adventure game I had started working on recently, given that I wanted to support the vast diversity of avatar types that exist in the platform in all my upcoming games, from the default blocky, to those with layered clothing. Now, the classic avatars with 2D clothing are the only ones that would work properly due to this update.

Experiences that can be dependent on this, including but not limited to the ones in the “boss survival” or “big monster fighting” genre, are also affected by this issue.

Examples of existing, released experiences that make use of the character scale are Ragdoll Testing 2, Giant vs Minies or Goofy Gods

As a final note, this is bad news even for experiences that don’t use the size of a player at its core gameplay loop. In my case, I’ve been scripting some prototypes using character scaling to ensure that ALL avatars are within an height range to prevent very small avatar users from gaining an unfair advantage, and shrinking down large avatars to prevent them from being handicapped or unable to get in places. This would essentially make that system useless if the avatar is originally too small and has to be scaled up to fit within the strict margin.

1 Like