Layered clothing gets de-sync'd from avatar rig when in ragdoll state

Reproduction Steps
Currently, layered clothing has an extremely noticeable visual glitch that occurs when the player’s avatar enters a ragdoll state via physics constraints. When the player ragdolls, the layered clothing ‘explodes’ and gets completely desync’d from their avatar. Since layered clothing’s wrap is only computed once, this issue does not resolve itself until layered clothing is added/removed from their avatar. Attempting to force a recompute by quickly toggling the Puffiness properties only worsens the desync.
This issue only seems to occur after the player’s avatar is respawned with Player:LoadCharacter(). The player’s ‘first’ avatar does not have this issue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. In the file I attached below, press the R key to ragdoll. Notice that the clothing remains in-sync with the avatar.
  2. Press the R key to unragdoll. Again, note that the clothing is still in-sync.
  3. Reset / kill the avatar. Wait for respawn to occur.
  4. Press the R key to ragdoll when the character respawns. Notice that the clothing is now desync’d from the rig.
  5. Press the R key to un-ragdoll. Notice that the clothing is still desync’d sometimes, and it just gets worse.

LC_Desync_Repro.rbxl (204.6 KB)

Expected Behavior
It is expected that layered clothing remain in-sync with the player’s avatar at all times, regardless of what the avatar is doing (emoting, ragdolling, swimming, etc).

Actual Behavior
Layered clothing gets desync’d from the player’s avatar in some cases (ragdolling, procedural animations such as footplanting, IK ‘headlook’, etc)

Workaround
The workaround to this issue is to quickly add and remove a piece of layered clothing, which forces a recompute for the wraps of all of the clothing that is applied to the player’s avatar.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-10-27 00:10:00 (-04:00)

20 Likes

Does this issue still occur for you ?

1 Like

Yes, it still happens, I just tested it in the repro file I included in this bug report.

1 Like

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

This issue is still occurring as of March 2022. Are there any updates on this bug? Layered clothing is functionally released, it’s able to be purchased & worn into games.

4 Likes

This bug is still happening.

During the first ragdoll jackets act normal:

however after getting up this happens:

After a character reset and more ragdolling, it will desync only when in ragdoll and look fine when not ragdolled:

Thanks!
Widgeon

8 Likes

This is also occurring within our game Car Crushers 2

We had a user-reported bug on our forums which described this exact issue and
displayed the same effects.

Here is an image extracted from the post for quick-referencing:

The process for this is the same, if you are to ragdoll with layered clothing enabled it will cause the affected mesh regions to not update once the physical assembly changes back to its default state.

3 Likes

Happening to me as well.
Also, some limbs are disappearing when ragdolled with layered clothing.

3 Likes

That is the most annoying glitch that layered clothing has, it is worse if you’re in a game where you are not allowed to reset your character.

Hopefully roblox fixes this as soon as possible.

2 Likes

This is still happening as of 4/11/22. Now that layered clothing is fully released, this bug is even more obvious in many games.

My own game uses ragdolls fairly often, and the end result is players seeing this:

I’m considering disabling layered clothing because of this issue, please fix it.

4 Likes

This is still happening as of 5/18/22:

3 Likes

this is still happening a year later.
The desync are not permanent for me but during the actual ragdoll the layered clothing can stretch out and also causes delays.