Layered clothing help (how to make a holdable plush)

hello there, i wanted to do a holdable plush with layered clothing (since as i know its the easiest way), but im having trouble when i test the plush on the rig, since it just deforms.

what i’ve done so far:

• i followed a tutorial that explains how to make layered clothing, there’s a part where you need to set the weight of your clothing for every part of the rig, and for the hand where the plush is, i painted the whole plush red, i left the plush blue for the other parts (so it just moves whenever the hand moves ig), i skipped the part where u need to cover the entire clothing with the outer cage and i exported the plush to studio, but when i tested it, it just deformed.

• after the first attempt i tried covering the whole plush with the outer cage’s hand using sculpting mode, i covered all of the plushie but when i tried it on studio it deformed way more than the first attempt.

if you know how to make plushies or if u have an idea on how to make them lmk i would really appreciate it (also sorry for any grammatical mistakes i dont speak english lol)

thanks!

1 Like

so what you would want to do is

1. use this tutorial. i’m not sure if it is the one you watched, but he certainly does explain the concepts thoroughly.

2. enjoy your layered clothing plush

1 Like

Holdable Plush Tutorial:

I haven’t been able to find ANY tutorials on making holdable accessories, so I figured it out and made one. You will have to know how to make layered clothing which is outside the scope of this post, but here is a good step by step guide I reference all the time: https://youtu.be/vxKg1btrRIQ?si=PBR47XfnJWTxcC1H

You can ignore the caging and weight transfer steps as they don’t apply here.

I made this model recently and it’s a perfect example!

After you have your model, parent the item to the armature like usual and align it with the hand.

I like to rotate the mesh forward to make it look more like its being held

Here is the crux of making the item move correctly. You need to weight paint the item to the correct hand its held in. Make sure none of the other bones have any influence. Im not sure how much needs to be painted but I did the whole model with a very low strength brush.

There is no need to cage. After this step you can import your item in game. Make it a shirt

To make your item not distorted, make sure AutoSkin is disabled and this “Enabled” check box under the wrap layer is not checked.

Test in game! My avatar is a horrible example lol but it follows the hands correctly.

Here is my example holdable accessory on a mannequin you can use to try it on. Just replace the accessory with yours and name it “Handle”. Good luck!
Try on Holdable Accessories! - Creator Marketplace (roblox.com)

Update: If this helped you out, support me and buy one for yourself! shy pony ・ ω・Holdable plush - Roblox

4 Likes

fire tutorial bro. im not mad at all

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.