Layered clothing will not deform to Character, UNLESS outer cage is edited

I am making a game with custom r15 characters. These characters have their own outer cage (not given by roblox), and I’m using their outer cage to make Layered Clothing (LC) for in-game use ONLY.

For my game, I want every piece of layered clothing to deform to the character rather than to the layer of clothing below it, therefore I figured I do not want to edit the outercage to wrap around the LC.

I tried this out, and it worked on the character that I modelled the dress on:

However, the dress will not deform onto other body types (which use the same outercages with the same vertices, and same UV’s):

This issue can only be fixed if I edited the outercage of the LC, which I don’t want to do because I don’t want LC to deform to the clothing worn under it, rather I want it to deform to the character’s body:

I would like to know whether it’s possible for LC to deform to multiple body types, without having to edit its outercage. Is this a bug, or is this intentional? If it’s intentional are there any work arounds?

Expected behavior

This issue is very weird, because by the way Roblox defines cages and mesh deformation, it seems like the clothing’s inner cage is responsible for it’s deformation, and not its outercage.

So expected behaviour would be, for the layered clothing to deform to multiple body types, regardless of whether the outercage is edited or not. The outercage should only be responsible for the way layers of clothing worn on top, are deformed.

A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket in our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like