Learning Lua for free

Hello, everyone! I’m pretty sure that you always wanted to learn scripting on Roblox. I have found a useful free e-book that will help you get started.

It contains everything you need to know to begin scripting. If you’re not bored (like me, lol) to read it, there’s a link below.

Thanks for reading my post and have a nice day! Please, leave a like if this helped out!

Lua Learning e-book

76 Likes

Thank you, this topic will be so useful for others and me maybe.

4 Likes

Thank you for your contribution, although this e-book is more commonly known as the lua PIL, and it’s an actual official lua book/manual. I wouldn’t recommend this for beginners, for two reason. First thing, it expects you to have a background in programming, and thus uses really advanced concepts and terminology. Second, just learn scripting in Roblox Studio straight away, learning lua first than knowing about features added by Luau and getting used to the Roblox API and Roblox Studio as a working environment is a waste of time in my opinion, especially because they both offer two different approaches, which might cause difficulties for rookies, additionally, vanilla lua has a lot of disabled stuff in Luau. I do definitely recommend reading some parts of the PIL for someone who already understands the basics of lua, it’s a great resource to salvage additional info.

17 Likes

I learnt scripting through taking free models and playing around with scripts and adapting my Python knowlodge to LUA. I also recommend PeaFactory’s YouTube tutorials as they give a clear understanding.

Although, this E-book is great but it’s not great for beginners and as said by @starmaq, it rqeuires some background knowledge in programming overall.

9 Likes

This is more for standard LUA, Roblox modified the compiler, so like in earlier posts, it could be hard for new scripters to grasp on the topic. I kinda don’t see this as a community resource since anyone, inside or outside of Roblox, could just search up “lua handbook”, or something similar, and that would pop up.

2 Likes

This could be useful for intermediate/experienced scripters. However, for beginners this could be rather challenging. But this is cool! Never thought there was an e-book out there.

4 Likes