Lentzified's Combat System Rendition III

We’re back, boys and girls. One revelation about how I could do better than my last system and I’d say about $22,000 in Red Bull later, The system has taken root in a much higher quality form as part of a post-apocalypse survival game. @RiftTalon is responsible for all of GUI in this game (and this showcase), so don’t forget to give that mans some love. Well, without further ado, let’s take a look at some of these systems.

=- Character Control -=

This system is a first and third person combat system, in a mouselock style, similar to games such as Fortnite or PUBG. Change of perspective is as easy as the scroll of a mouse, and has a real pretty tween with it.

As for character movement with the camera, everything is on an incredibly smooth drag. This makes the character seem to lag behind the camera while moving about, which is just about the neatest thing I’ve seen all day.

The UI on the back has a lot of functionalities that we’ll cover as we go on. The green bar on the right side is the character’s stamina. Stamina is used while sprinting, vaulting, climbing walls, and dive rolling.

While recovering stamina, the character’s movement has a lot to do with the speed of recovery. Crouching while motionless will regenerate your stamina rather quickly, while walking around while you wait is going to take ages. Y’know, standard stamina stuff.

The orange bar to the left is your character’s health. Health is on a constant slow regen, however in game items like bandages or corrigidone will assist in the recovery of health. Careful of high buildings and walls, you could be in for some serious damage.

=- Parkour -=

Yessirree, it’s 2009 again! Bust out the Linkin Park and start jumping over the bike racks at your local Elementary school, because it’s time to look at the parkour system! Currently, I have two types of parkour variations, however I do plan to add more for different situations.

The first move is vaulting. Y’know, the gangster hop deal that lets you get over obstacles with style. Because jumping is disabled in this game, you have to rely on being able to hop over things to escape the creature trying to turn you into a pile of bones and the meat it didn’t want to eat.
The second maneuver in the video is the dive roll. Taking up a quarter of your stamina per roll, these are good for emergencies, like avoiding enemy gunfire in an open area, or getting to a location with a little more cover.
And for my final trick, the wall climb. While in this specific example, the character isn’t scaling a wall, the basic principle still applies. This maneuver is useful for scaling buildings that may have no or destroyed roof access, or getting into your sniper den, ready to prey on unsuspecting noobs.
Lucky for me, I was able to keep the entirety of the parkour system to one 8 second video, so let’s keep this ball rolling to the fun part, shall we?

=- Weapons -=

Honestly, I could probably write a book about how these ballistics work and proving that they are not only dead accurate, but also incredibly optimized. Bullet trails from you and from others are rendered locally, so players have the freedom to adjust beam detail and particle detail. Not everyone runs ROBLOX through a secret military supercomputer they stole using their dad’s Saturn… ahem,

Bullets are realistic in this version, with simulated bullet drop and travel time. Unlike may past versions, the ballistics are extremely customizeable and, as the rest of my system is, well optimized.

Can’t forget about the chambered bullet mechanics! Reloading while there is a bullet in the chamber will put it at one above it’s max clip amount, but reloading from empty won’t give you the extra bullet until you reaload again.

As I did mention earlier, this system is completely first person as well, so you have to have some ADS. Not the smoothest thing in the world right now, but hey, work in progress, amirirte?

Shotguns, boi. But wait, here’s the fun part.

As I mentioned earlier, this system has customizeable bullet trails, ranging in stats from speed to drop to six different types of damage, able to be negated by a (future) armor system.

Keep in mind, this system is still very much a WIP, and any bugs you’re trying to decipher from the video clips, I’m already well aware of. This is just another update on my neat little system since I decided to redo it for a third, and likely final time. The next update I post relating to this system will be a full mechanics/gameplay rundown of my development group’s game Derelict. Again, I’m not a UI guy, @RiftTalon is to blame for the horrible *cough* wonderful UI. If you actually stuck through and read the entirety of this post, thank you. Your interest keeps me motivated. See you all in the next installment of Lentzified’s Combat System!

22 Likes

Just went to test out your showcase, and the guns don’t work lol.

The new versions should have this problem corrected!

2 Likes

Gahhhh! I’ve got a philosophy essay to write and this is the perfect distraction!

7 Likes

I love this system! Lot’s of potential for a game. I LOVE the UI as well, how it transitions in a zoom. Nice work.

4 Likes

Really awesome work you have here! The UI reminds me of Tom Clancy’s The Division. Really neat.

2 Likes

The UI is inspired greatly by it, so I’m glad we captured the image well!

2 Likes

What are you rotating to have the head, uppertorso and arms move depending on the camera angle? what are the angles you’re calculating? does each gun have multiple custom animation cycles with stuff like running, breathing and recoil? how many animations are there for a single gun? When you right click, the gun moves so the sight is centered on the screen. How is the animation so precise that the sight can be centered in the screen and pointing forward?

1 Like

Boi, just ask for my entire script while your at it lol. This post isn’t to explain trigonometry to people, it’s to showcase what I made. And also, it’s bad practice to give away solutions, you know?

2 Likes

I was hoping the solutions would be more convenient to implement than lots and lots of trigonometry.

Well, that’s angular combat systems for ya. Tons of math and logic. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

How does the vaulting work, Behind the Scenes?

I know this is a bump but in case anyone else is wondering

local neckC0 = CFrame.new(0, 0.8, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1);
local waistC0 = CFrame.new(0, 0.2, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1);
local neck = self.Player.Character.Head.Neck;
local waist = self.Player.Character.UpperTorso.Waist;
local theta = math.asin(workspace.CurrentCamera.CFrame.LookVector.y)
neck.C0 = neckC0 * CFrame.fromEulerAnglesYXZ(theta*0.5, 0, 0);
waist.C0 = waistC0 * CFrame.fromEulerAnglesYXZ(theta*0.5, 0, 0);

This was 2 years ago. I asked 5 questions there but what you have is loosely related to two of them. There’s a lot more math needed to accomplish what I was specifically asking about.

2 Likes