Let Gameowners read Datastore values unfiltered

I’m a bit confused by the original post’s wording, but I think you don’t have to filter people giving feedback/reports that only you can see

1 Like

Why use data stores for this, to get around just use discord web hooks…

2 Likes

AFAIK it definitely does need to go through the filter; the filter will decide what you’re meant to see and what not. For example it will try to filter out anything that looks like telephone numbers / addresses for (at least) 13- users.

@PlaceRebuilder an easy solution would be to give your moderators a choice from a dropdown list (“using speedhax”, “using flyhax”, “offensive behaviour”, etc) and send that along with the report, so that you don’t have to filter these strings since they were hardcoded by you, the developer.

Think the issue here is the filter itself. If ROBLOX wants users to make games such that they can be coppa compliant then they should support developers by having a system that allows users to communicate effectively.

but I linked an admin’s tweet? ??? D:

You still have to filter outgoing http requests… Why would you think otherwise?

@PlaceRebuilder
Honestly just have a set of preset reasons for banning someone. There really isn’t that many reasons and it would cut down on the amount of data you would need to store

What if my game allows players to file bug reports through an in-game form, or send feature suggestions my way, can I send those to my web server unfiltered as they will not be readable by other players?

Not allowing that wouldn’t make sense if an allowed alternative is “Hey go to my totally unfiltered Twitter and follow this Discord URL to provide feedback!” which is currently happening with nearly all top games.

The point of the stricter filter for kids under 13 is so they don’t send you their address or phone number and saving that stuff is against some regulations

It releases liability from Roblox

With all of these filter rules it becomes necessary to read communication permission settings for a certain player. I’m building a ticket system where players can request support or file bugs, and then receive a reply in their in-game inbox. I want to straight up lock <13 players out with a message that their account is restricted from using that feature instead of letting them send ######### tickets which can never be replied to and result in a really bad experience.

3 Likes

Since when did we have to filter outgoing.

Roblox doesn’t want to be liable for the collection of data on minors to an external third party webserver. We can’t have nice things because kids are dumb and bad people will take advantage of them.

Roblox doesn’t want to be caught with allowing bird party servers to collect hundreds of personally identifying information on minors which would be a huge publicity issue all over again.

Aka this is why we need to filter chat. It’s even worse if you’re potentially saving that data in a datastore or another server

yeah, but …

1 Like

That is clearly referring to fetching content from external sources, such as displaying a web article - not sending content to external sources.

Any text that is not written by the developer himself must be filtered when it’s going to be seen by anyone other than the sender. There’s no other exceptions to that, it is required to comply with privacy guidelines.

2 Likes

Just seems contradictory to what I’ve seen other staff members say and also I know some games were put under review for reasons like that

Just find a phrase that filters for <13 and doesn’t for >13 problem solved

This is too confusing… won’t put my game back up until I have a definite answer to webhooks/http and filtering.

filtering changes all the time, that is a hack solution

My point is that with Community Sift’s concept of trust, anything that is filtered from 13 users can possibly also be filtered for 13+ users, given they become untrusted by the system. As Polymorphic said, figuring out if an user is <13 or 13+ this way is hacky, and most likely won’t work, and if it does, it’ll only be for a short time until you run into users whom it is filtered for in the wrong age group.

Also, checking if your users are <13 or 13+ gives this problem:

Because it makes targetting <13 users easier, and is not information that should be relevant for the developer to collect or use. Age falls under private information that shouldn’t be given out.

Didn’t say I was agreeing. Just made a point of what you said.
Doesn’t give out age though.

Actually age isn’t covered by COPPA, social security number is.

Anyways, does anyone know how to filter a message AFTER receiving it from datastore?
I heard this is recommended but I see no way of doing it since the player who wrote it can not be sent to the filter function (because that player is long gone).