Levels of Detail for Mesh Parts

Suddenly studio has started crashing when undoing/redoing changes to RenderFidelity. Can’t find a 100% repro, but it’s happened multiple times.

3 Likes

I absolutely love this feature! This should definitely help prevent potato computers from getting fried.

This is huge. Been waiting for this. Thanks a lot!

Awesome. Thank you for another great feature! Can’t wait for more.

Ever since this feature came out, I haven’t been able to export any of my meshes from Roblox to Blender as the mesh is pretty much destroyed.

Here’s the mesh in Roblox:

Here’s the mesh exported from Roblox into Blender:

7 Likes

These trees look hilariously stupid and creepy with “Automatic”. Compared with the perfect trees on the right, it’s pretty bad.

9 Likes

That likely has nothing to do with the LOD itself. You’re probably attempting to change way too many meshes at once.

Also, another thing to note; a LOD system can half the quality at each level. Low-poly meshes will not work with this. If you have a mesh with 50 triangles, the first level will be 25 triangles, the second, 13. This will lead to obvious distortion as there aren’t enough triangles to make a similar shape. You won’t gain anything by adding LOD to low-poly meshes unless you have thousands of them, so if your low-poly meshes start to noticeably distort, it’s safe to keep them as Precise.

Lastly, @ everyone, LOD is meant to make meshes perform better by reducing quality at set distances. Ideally, you shouldn’t notice a difference because of the distance, but it’s not 100% accurate and never will be. Don’t take this to mean it’s broken. You should only be reporting your “bug” if you can guarantee it’s actually a bug. A lot of the time, people mess up their vertices when making meshes and this leads to an invalid shape. Attempting to simplify it can and most likely will distort it.

11 Likes

It’s a known bug and a fix should be coming out this week.

Here’s the bug report thread, which includes a temporary solution.

1 Like

Thank you! I play mostly on a low-end PC that I have, which has a GT210. But with this update, I can run games better, like Vehicle Simulator, and others. Thank you for this update, ROBLOX staff! I really appreciate it, and also I can’t wait to make my games more lower end compatible.

1 Like

Seems cool but would love control with this so that we can use our own optimization strategies with it

1 Like

Wait, so what did level of detail affect before this? I’m pretty sure it affected shadows, is that it?

1 Like

I’m not sure how to remove this because I changed the mesh type and it won’t change back even for my new models.

My meshes look quite horrid now.

Poor Bill here looks like someone tossed him into a bucket of cement and tried to chip it off.

8 Likes

The glitch with the humanoid object distorting mesh rigs is completely holding progress on my games. If this can be fixed ASAP, that would be greatly appreciated!!

I’ve been waiting over a week now with no fixes, and my community is waiting for many updates in which cannot be placed in games. It is common for people to make mesh rigs, and all of us are waiting for a fix.

7 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I’m trying to revert my rig models so they won’t be distorted upon becoming a player model, however, it seems like the new meshes are unable to be reverted.

2 Likes

Very excited for this in the games I’m working on, however I’m concerned how it will effect the joins between multiple meshes in a single model. Does anybody know if there’ll be some kind of detection for places where edge vertices are shared between meshes, and if that will be used in the automatic LODs to prevent the edges where they join from splitting?

We’re in the same boat with our game. I heard something about a fix going to be pushed out this week, but it seems like there was no Roblox update at all this week. Probably because of holidays. We’ll most likely get the fix next week :slightly_smiling_face:

Search for humanoids in the workspace and delete it.

So I’m not sure if anyone else is facing problems like this, but after changing my flashlight to Automatic, it will not revert after changing it to Precise, EVEN AFTER RE-IMPORTING THE MESH. This is a huge problem with the game I have because placing the object in a viewport frame will now produce an object like this

ViewportFrame%5B1%5D

ViewportFrame%5B2%5D

instead of this

Viewport

If anyone knows of a fix to this issue, please let me know :slight_smile:
Once again, this does not happen until I put the item in the viewportframe. In the workspace, it looks just fine.

1 Like

Hi, this is a currently listed bug which is going to be fixed in the patch sometime this week/next week

1 Like

That’s not the issue - the issue is that I need a humanoid object in order to make my model a rig.