Levels of Detail for Mesh Parts

turretmeshbug.rbxm (251.1 KB)
Here is the model; it doesn’t look worse when I zoom out

2 Likes

No plans for customization in the near future but it is on the radar.

Is the range a hard-coded number or is it based on a users current graphic setting?

For example; a user with a graphic setting of 10 can see the automatic meshpart from >250 studs away with full precision while another user with a graphic setting of 3 can only see the automatic meshpart in its highest quality below a max of 250 studs.

I’m really excited to use this new system either way, thank you for your hard work!

7 Likes

This is gonna be really useful for thoes developers creating games for lower end users, which will give a bigger player possiblity because not all players. Including myself have access to a good spec device, this has been a long update coming and I’m glad to see it arrive.

1 Like

Love this, it’s a feature I’ve been waiting for for a long time.

Although it’s not perfect yet…

13 Likes

This should not be happening, can you send me the place for debugging?

4 Likes

it is hardcoded for now but we have an update that does pretty much exactly this!

We are still working out the exact numbers and such but it’ll probably be released pretty soon.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, will the size/volume of parts ever be used for the LOD? Is that planned? Currently, it is difficult to use the automatic LOD with really large parts, because it switches to low quality at too close of a distance.

4 Likes

This is extremely nice to have!

I really wish we had an option to edit the distances where the LOD kicks in, because in my case the LOD kicks in way too soon, and it’s very noticable to the point where I just avoid using it on a lot of models…

overall, really nice :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I need to start watching the pipeline more closely, this sounds really cool

2 Likes

You can view this year’s full roadmap here : https://developer.roblox.com/resources/Roblox-Platform-Roadmap

3 Likes

I do appreciate this update a lot. Is it possible we could get an update to create more accurate hitboxes for meshes? I’m trying to use mesh hills in my game but the hitboxes are just too inaccurate

4 Likes

I think this update would be great because mobile players can now play games more smoothly. A well made update for my players!

4 Likes

Any word on high detailed meshes? Above 10,000 polygons?

2 Likes

Enjoying the update so far, looking forward to see the same technique being implemented to Special Meshes.

13 Likes

Amazing feature, but I feel like the decimate algorithm used here is really off in a way, not to mention that the merged faces don’t map correctly on the UV.

1 Like

yeaaaaaaa finally! so hyped to use this!

1 Like

What about the level of detail adjustment for csg parts? Is the level of detail adjustment for csg parts comming in the future?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

This was already out before the LOD for meshes came out

3 Likes