Light “Future” taking a lot to activate

Reproduction Steps

1. Set the Lighting technology to “Future”:

1. Create some lights
  2. Run

Expected Behavior
The lights should have their final result immediately

Actual Behavior
After starting the game, it takes a lot of time to pass from (apparently) ShadowMap to Future:

As you can see in the video, “Future” only starts processing after 19 seconds and stabilizes at 23 seconds.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

1 Like

if you set graphics quality to something other than Auto it won’t take a lot to activate and this is by design

4 Likes

Thanks, but as I said in the “Expected Behavior”, the lights should have their final result immediately.
In my case, if the light is set to ‘Future’, it should be shown in ‘Future’ mode since the start of the game, and not start with ‘ShadowMap’ to then switch to ‘Future’ many seconds after…

Besides that, I’ve tested with the other render options and I had no result:

I’m Windows 10 with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6b, with is enough to run many AAA games in Ultra graphics mode, so I think that’s not the case.

What’s your graphics level in the escape (little Roblox next to the chat button icon in-game) menu? If it’s Auto, then it will flop around between ShadowMap and Future depending on performance. A new light turning on will usually cause a dip in performance, so this may be the cause. If you manually set your graphics quality to 9 or 10, it should fix this.

I believe this is what @vrtblox was talking about.

3 Likes

You’re right.
In Roblox Player, even set with ‘Auto’, the light is correct right from the start.
In Roblox Studio, changing to the same config while playing to ‘Manual’ and setting to the maximum, solves the problem.

Thanks.

I’m closing this thread since the issue got resolved, thank you @SamsAltAcc0unt, for the solution!

3 Likes