Light theme for the script editor when using dark mode

As many Roblox developers, I have enjoyed the ability to customize the theme of Roblox Studio as well as the script editor for a while now. However, one issue which has plagued me recently is the ability to use the preset light theme script editor with dark mode for the rest of Studio.

I personally find it extremely hard to type within scripts using the dark script editor, so I prefer to have the light mode theme colors, while still using dark mode for the Studio app. Unfortunately, these colors do not show up under the script editor theme options unless I am using light mode. I have to go in myself and edit the colors to match the light mode script editor on every device. Sometimes a Studio update resets my customizated colors, and I have to repeat the process again on the device. This is a huge annoyance, especially for those moments when I just want to kick back and immediately work on something.

This issue can be fixed in two ways, one of them being an ‘easier’ fix and the other being a little harder to implement. However, I think both of these should be implemented:

1. Include two new options under the script editor color preset list: “Light mode” and “Dark mode.” These are the colors the script editor would use if the Studio app was set to each respective theme mode. (Dark would use the dark theme colors, light would use the light theme colors for the script editor). Both of these options should appear no matter what theme the Studio app is set to.

2. Allow users to create their own custom “presets” that save to the script editor color preset list. This would allow the user to make up their own style for the editor, and have it be saved on the device should an update reverse it. I normally have my colors saved in a screenshot on my PC just in case if it is reversed, but having to go in and manually update the colors is very time consuming. This option would be very beneficial and would allow people to tailor their script editor to their liking. A bonus would be to allow cloud syncing for presets across the Roblox account, that way when you sign in on a different device, the presets you created would come over too.

Of the two options, the second one would definitely be harder to implement. I think both should be added, but the first one should definitely be implemented as some would like to use a Dark-theme with Studio, just not the script editor. I may be in the minority here, but giving developers the choice certainly wouldn’t hurt!

13 Likes