Lighting in my games on my account appears washed out

All of my games lighting suddenly became very pale / washed out since yesterday. I have not changed anything.

Here is my game in studio:

Here is it while playing via the website:

Here is a comparison showing the washed out effect:

I’m not sure what caused this to happen, last night the lighting was fine and when I came home I noticed the difference immediately so I though there was a lighting update. When I went into studio I saw that the lighting settings had not changed.

Since then I have tried publishing my game to a new place, which did nothing.

Lighting Settings

I’m sure plugins are not the issue, as all the plugins I have activated are extremely well-known, they are: Model Resize, tool grip, roblox animator, and the lines of code plugin.

Plugins

Note that:

• I don’t use free models in the games, all the meshes in the picture were made by me, as well as the scripts.
  • I have noticed that when you join, for a split second at the beginning the lighting is fine before it quickly reverts back to the ‘pale’ state.
  • This happens to all my published places, not just the one in the picture.
  • I have played the game on my laptop, PC and iPad, and the issue persists across all the devices
  • Lighting in other games look fine and normal.

As I said I’m really not sure what caused it, it was fine last night and when I got home it started glitching.

Please let me know when you want to visit my place as I’m not comfortable opening up for an extended period of time because there are a lot of personal designs in the place

4 Likes

Same here, they must’ve broken Voxel lighting or changed its appearance all together

1 Like

Same here. Very annoying and makes my game look dull. They must’ve changed how lighting works in-game than in Studio, because it wasn’t doing this about 3 or 4 days ago as of writing this.

How it looks in Studio:

VS

How it looks in-game:

Although I wasn’t able to really get a good picture of this, but it definitely shows a difference if you see for yourself.

1 Like

omg yes its the same exact thing happening to me, its so annoying and it doesnt happen in other games

1 Like

The same thing has been happening to me too.
Here is how the game looks in studio:

Here is how it appears in game:

The materials look like they have some kind of matte finish and the terrain looks a lot paler in comparison to previous. If it is an update, then the materials look great, however this change does not show up in studio, creating the issue.

2 Likes

I’m also having this problem.

RobloxPlayerBeta_oQvYTE9iFX

1 Like

We rolled out physics based rendering system on Windows client (not yet in studio). The only thing that changed now is specular. I’ll tune the materials again to make them look more similar.

5 Likes

I use the Fabric material in my games with ShadowMap to reduce how reflective the characters and their Accessories are. I don’t think Fabric is that reflective! :smile: Hope to see a fix.
In Studio:

In Game:

5 Likes

Will it be released in studio soon so we can adjust our lighting settings to the rendering system, and thank you for the clarification btw.

We are still working on bugs and performance. We’ll release controls in studio after it’s stable enough.

6 Likes

How’s it coming along? I’m excited to use it…

Adjustments seem to have been reverted in the last day or so. Any way to adjust the materials again until the controls are added? Thanks! :smiley:

I believe this issue is related, so I’ll post this here. If it needs it’s own topic, someone who can edit posts can move it into it’s own topic.

Anyways, this new update looks absolutely fantastic on default Roblox materials.

However

It makes textures on a part set to Material.Metal appear overly reflective. The same also happens with MeshParts who have their material set to Metal, as shown in this screenshot:

This is great for a rainy map - but a map that takes place in the desert - it looks out of place.

2 Likes

There is no control for current changes. Contollable changes will be in IBL part (sky as light source).
I’ve tuned current materials to have similar roughness. I believe the difference will mostly come from grazing angle, which is due to fresnel effect. https://www.dorian-iten.com/fresnel/
We think that’s more physically accurate so the plan now is to keep it.

Apologies for bumping such an old thread, but seeing as there isn’t any other way I know of for TL1 currently, I saw this as my only option.

Certain materials still look really “off” compared with how they looked before, especially on objects that aren’t regular square/rectangular parts such as Spheres (most notably Plastic), and I wonder if it would not be possible for Roblox to re-implement or recreate the old (2013-19) Plastic material, albeit with perhaps a different name (i.e. BrightPlastic).

This did happen last time Roblox made a major tweak to the material in question in October 2013, when the previous version of the material was retained under the name of “SmoothPlastic”.

I appreciate this may be complicated, but as there isn’t any advanced developer-facing feature which allows for tweaking the built-in specular settings for individual materials, I didn’t really see any other way than to request such a feature.

Alternatively, if this is not possible, it would be nice to allow developers to tweak the appearance of in-built materials so that they can fine-tune their appearance to their own needs.

We’re working on adding more built in materials now. Another option is replacing some of thoses Parts with MeshParts. You can change roughness of MeshParts by using SurfaceAppearence. We are also investigating ways to make materials more flexible. But the plan hasn’t been decided yet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.