Lighting.ColorShift_Bottom non-functional on high- graphics-level ShadowMap and Future

I just want to say Happy Birthday to this Bug Report, because it is officially more than a year old! :birthday:

Repro steps:

1. Download the repro file: colorshiftbottom_bugrepro.rbxl
  2. Set the Studio Setting Studio Settings>Rendering>Editor Quality Level to Level 05 or more
  3. Change Lighting.Technology to ShadowMap
  4. Observe the visual differences
  5. Now set the Studio Setting Studio Settings>Rendering>Editor Quality Level to Level 04 or less
  6. Observe the visual differences

Expected behaviour:
The ColorShift_Bottom property of Lighting should function across all Lighting.Technology values (i.e. should work on ShadowMap and Future) and all graphics levels.

Actual behavior:
Basically, it’s not-functional for anyone using ShadowMap or Future. Specifically, on any graphics level higher that 1 using the Roblox client graphics slider, or the Studio graphics level higher than 05.

ColorShift_Bottom does not affect the shading of the terrain when Lighting.Technology is set to ShadowMap or Future with the Studio Editor Quality Level set to 05 or more.

Ideally, it should look like this:

It also functions correctly with the Studio Editor Quality Level set to 04 or less:

First encountered: 1st March, 2023
Last encountered: 6th June, 2023 10th December, 2023 21st January, 2024 22nd May, 2024 (Woohoo, a year and 5 days old!)
Impact: High - It creates confusion when it appears like it is not functional. In fact, many believe it is straight up broken, including me prior to doing the tests preceding this bug report where I assumed that it was broken completely.
Frequency: Always

7 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and will come back as soon as we have updates!

Thanks for flagging!

4 Likes

This bug is still occurring as of Studio version 0.578.0.5780566/just Version 578. Last tested on the 6th of June, 2023.

In hindsight, I could have made the title less complicated… something like “ColorShift_Bottom doesn’t work with high graphics quality on ShadowMap or Future”. Still a bit of a mouthful though… maybe just “ColorShift_Bottom rarely works”? Too late to change it now though, the promotion from Bug Support DM to Bug Report removed my permissions to change the category or title.

3 Likes

EDIT: I am now very confused, it looks like I misread 605 as 603? Please disregard any mention of the version below. There isn’t even a Release Notes page for 605, so it looks like it was released off schedule given it’s Sunday now and not the middle of the week? Regardless, this bug still occurs as of 0.605.3.6050660 (64bit). It has been about 7 months or over half a year since this was reported.

This is still occurring as of Studio version 0.603.3.6050660/Version 603. Last tested 10th of December, 2023 01:15 CST (right now).

Oddly, Version 604 exists, but my Studio hasn’t updated to it? However, the Release Notes do not appear to mention anything related to this. I will reply when I have gotten Studio to the latest version just in case.

1 Like

This issue is still occurring as of 21st of January, 2024, version 0.608.1.6080485/Version 608.

This issue is still occurring as of the 22nd of May, 2024, version 0.625.0.6250509/Version 625, marking it as a year and 5 days old! :birthday::birthday::birthday: