Lights cause flickering surface shadows on animated humanoids while using Future lighting technology

Description
I have come across a strange lighting issue where a light (such as PointLight/SpotLight) in a dark place causes sporadic flickering surface shadows on humanoids that are playing an animation.

The issue only occurs while using the Future lighting technology.
The issue becomes more prominent as you move closer to the humanoid.

This bug is preventing me from using the Future lighting technology in my round-based game as I am using an animated humanoid in the menu/lobby scene and so the flickering would be very pronounced.

Reproduction:
This flickering issue occurs 100% of the time. It occurs both in studio, in-game PC and in-game mobile (it is less pronounced on mobile). I have stripped down my game’s original file to a minimal place file for ease of reproduction.

Here is an example of the flickering in the minimal place file:

Here are steps to reproduce:

1. Set graphics quality to maximum
  2. Play the game (place file below)
  3. Locate and observe the flickering on the dummy as seen in the video

This is the uncopylocked place:

DummyScript is located in StarterPlayerScripts

System Information (Laptop):
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (10.0, Build 19044)
Intel Core i7-10875H CPU @ 2.3GHz (16 CPUs)
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU

System Information (Phone):
iPhone 11
iOS 15.5
Model Number MHDH3X/A

4 Likes

Unable to reproduce, this is what it looks like for me:
(Level 1-10 graphics doesn’t change anything, this is on level 10.)
The image doesn’t flicker, however I can ever so slightly imagine what you are talking about, as I’ve seen this issue before.

The videos you sent also don’t appear to be loading, that’s odd. Can you send an image.

Anyways, I thought I might have this issue due to my Intel i7 laptop having similar specs, but it appears that wasn’t the case. The major difference on my end is that I don’t have a GeForce RTX in my laptop, just an old NVIDIA Quadro K1100M.

1 Like

Was able to reproduce, seems quite bothersome.

2 Likes

We were able to reproduce the issue, and filed a ticket into our internal database for it! We will come back as soon as we have updates!

Thanks for the report!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.